Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tile job that I am bidding on and I need to know what a good price per s/f would be to install slate tile. Also what a good price would be to install sub floor underlayment. This is just for labor. Thanks in advance for your help. It is only about 240 s/f.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think the medical term is, "you're going to feel some pressure next."

Nobody has started slamming you yet.

You mentioned something about underlayment. Do you want to comment on the size and span of the floor joists and what you have for floor sheathing and what you plan on using for tile backer, etc.?

When I hear about a natural stone being set on something other than concrete, I get a bit nervous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on using cement board. I have done tile projects in the past. This is for a previous customer and since the workload is light right now I need to make sure I am finding ways to keep the crews busy. I am looking for just a basic s/f price. And by the way warner if you cant contribute anything worthwhile, go eat a doughnut and leave the comments for the big boys that have something useful to add. I am not a hack looking to make a quick buck, as I have been doing this work on my own for the last 15 years. I would believe that other people are slow as well and would want to explore other options on how to keep their guys busy. Any worthwhile replies would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
...And by the way warner if you cant contribute anything worthwhile, go eat a doughnut and leave the comments for the big boys that have something useful to add. I am not a hack looking to make a quick buck, as I have been doing this work on my own for the last 15 years. I would believe that other people are slow as well and would want to explore other options on how to keep their guys busy. Any worthwhile replies would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jeez... You have no idea what a cliche you are right now. Simmer down and get the lay of the land. You're not going to get any "worthwhile replies" with that attitude... and you're not the first new guy to the forum to ask a pricing question... thus the responses above.

I'll give it to you straight. You DO look like a complete rookie coming to a professional forum and asking how to price something--so yes, we're going to give you sh** for that. We don't know you...don't know your work... Only that you're attempting work you don't know how to price... i.e.--work you don't normally do.

Do you expect it to cost the same to install tile in Los Angeles as it does in "INSERT SMALL TOWN HERE"... Or Indianapolis... Or Twin Cities?

I've installed tens of thousands of square feet of slate. I know the material quite well--enough to know that 240 square feet can either be an easy breezy walk in the park... or a royal labor sucking PITA... How can anyone even guess based on only the scant few details you've given?

Go here before you storm off all righteous indignant... you might find it illuminating:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pricing-estimating-success-27899/

And I meant what I said above... you're not the first to make this mistake... nor the first to get pissed at the jaded responses... Hopefully you're thick skinned enough to stick it out until you get the feel for the place. If not, you'll be yet another 1 post wonder.

Best of luck.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
I don't really like doughnuts.

Slate is time consuming, there are some serious do's and dont's.

SF pricing is a safety net. The last slate kitchen floor I installed came up to about 15 bucks per.

Sorry man, you asked a dumb loaded question.

Thanks for the long explanation Chris!!

I do like Starbursts though, I will go eat some of those.

I dont care how slow I was, there are somethings I just wont do.
I dont like to soil my name, town's too small for that.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Chris, That was probably the best explanation (without burying a hatchet into the OP) that i've read here. That should be required reading for the "how much do you charge" posters.

BTW, I like donuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry I thought this forum was filled with professionals. I guess nobody want to offe any advice. Fine :censored: off. I thought you guys could possibly help, but I guess you just want to piss and moan. Thanks for nothing jack azzes

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Hey guys, what's slate? I have a job next week and wonder if one of you will come help me with it for free. Any takers?

Seriously, it never amazes me when someone comes here for FREE advice and gets mad when they don't receive it. I mean asking about a part of the job, I can see. But when it comes to helping spec something out or....how to price something, you are proving that you're in over your head.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts