Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done plenty of concrete work, but never any surface repairs.

I have a slab in front of a berm house which is about 30 years old and is spalling very badly. Maybe spalling is not the correct term because the surface has disintegrated in some places about 2" deep, showing rebar.

Obviously the best solution would be to remove the concrete and start over, but I would rather not do this because there is a concrete staircase leading down to this slab and resting on this slab.

So I was thinking to patch up the bad areas and tile the whole thing. It is not very large, about 24' long and only 8' wide. The tile would really help dress up the area and it would also cover up a nasty patch.

So my question is, what type of patching material? Obviously, if it costs more than $4/square foot, I'll be better off replacing.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what interlock is.

The concrete is not breaking,the surface is disintegrating. The slab is still sound and I don't see any cracks, up and down movement, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
interlock, umm basically fancy bricks layed loosely on a bed of sand with sand used between them rather than mortar. Nothing solidly fixed so free to move and shift without breaking.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
He is just referring to concrete pavers, and it is a good idea if you just want to dress it up.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I don't know what would be recommended for exterior patching. For interior I use Planipatch over EcoPrim Grip primer. I'd just call the manufacturer you like best(e.g. Mapei, Laticrete) and ask tech support.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Patching the surface won't stop the continued deterioration.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't thought about laying pavers on top of the slab. The slab is lower than the entrance to the home and I could probably lay some 1 1/2" thick stones.

I do think it must be salt damage.

I suppose I'll just have to cut out around the stairs and remove and replace the concrete.

Who in the hell puts rebar in a 24x8 slab anyway? Not looking forward to the demolition.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
IF you really want to repair it, you can follow what's done on concrete bridges / overpasses. The toughest part is removing all the softened concrete down to a sound concrete surface - that usually leaves rebar exposed. Then you still have to bond and pour over the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts