Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New York City
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some advice.
Came home last night to a slab leak- domestic hot water- under the tiles in my kitchen.
Trying to schedule plumbers to come today.
Any advice or tips I should be aware of? Would a PEX reroute make any sense?
Are there any alternatives to ripping up the floor?
Thanks for your help.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,954 Posts
Would a PEX reroute make any sense?
Hard to say with no idea of how the place is built. How much havoc would have to be wreaked upon the walls, ceilings, cabinets to do that compared to fixing the problem in situ and re-tiling?

Re-doing the floor would probably get you back to full functionality considerably sooner.

·
New York City
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment.
It does seem easier to bust the floor, fix the pipe, and re-tile- and less expensive as well.
My one concern was about the likelihood of the pipe failing in another spot.
House is a two story colonial, 35 years old, two baths up one down, plus kitchen and laundry on first floor.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,954 Posts
My one concern was about the likelihood of the pipe failing in another spot.
Yeah, that's always a possibility. However, unless you have nasty water that eats pipes, it could well be just a poorly done connection that failed. No way to tell of course, without digging it up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your going to have other leaks. As soon as you fix one, another will appear. Been there, done that.

·
New York City
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, then plumber that stopped by says I have 3/4" and he can run PEX through it; which will eliminate the problem, and prevent any future problems with the copper.
Does this seem like a viable solution?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
so, then plumber that stopped by says I have 3/4" and he can run PEX through it; which will eliminate the problem, and prevent any future problems with the copper.
Sounds cool. Im skeptical that he could get it to go through corner and bends, but Im no plumber. If it works that would be an awesome solution.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Only if it is a straight shot with no changes in direction.

·
New York City
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: turns out the run was pretty straight and the plumber was successful in getting the PEX through the copper.
So- we are back to being fully functional with no leak. Did not have to break up the floor or reroute. Actually a pretty nice solution.

Thanks to all who commented.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts