Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know who to call.I want to install laminate flooring in my home,but my cement slab has a serious slope as you walk towards the back door,(about 2 3/8" unlevel). I would like to get this fixed before I put the new floor in.Any suggestions?Can cement be poured to level this out?And if so,what do I do about my sliding-glass door?I want a new door,preferably french style.But wouldn't the new door have to be raised to meet the new height of the floor?Looks like a huge project,huh? I want it done right.Please help!
:eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Any idea of the cause of this slope? If the slab is settleling, this needs to be addressed first and halted. I see many poor slabs but not THAT bad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can something like this be mudjacked? I've heard of it being done on exterior slabs.

Tim

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
KnightofTexas said:
I don't know who to call...Money is no object.
When may I start? :cheesygri
There's a fairly recent thread about fixing a similar slab for similar reasons. Take a look see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teetorbilt said:
Any idea of the cause of this slope? If the slab is settleling, this needs to be addressed first and halted. I see many poor slabs but not THAT bad.
No, the slab was poured sloppily. There's no need for foundation repair.I did look at Mattox.com.They have stuff that would work that you pump into place and it self-levels up to 3". I did see the other thread about this,thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Before I spent any money I'd call the contractor back and have him rectify it. 2 3/8" is bizarre! I couldn't do that poorly drunk and blindfolded.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Grypcrete is definately a viable solution - but don't let them fool you into thinking it's self-leveling. You still need to "help" it get level. Anyway - that's another issue. As you stated - the biggest issue with that is the door thresholds. Maybe, by chance they overframed the rough opening for your existing sliding glass door by 2-3/8" :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hatchet, I always do that just in case that there are drastic changes to be made. LOL
Note to self; All trimmers are to have 2-3/8" clearance on perimeter. That ought to do it! Can't blame improper construction on me, I left them PLENTY of room. Hehehehe!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Teetorbilt said:
Before I spent any money I'd call the contractor back and have him rectify it. 2 3/8" is bizarre! I couldn't do that poorly drunk and blindfolded.
This is an older house,not new.I didn't have it inspected before I bought it.
:eek: I've learned an expensive lesson.I was in a rush to get in a new house because I sold my old one and school was starting.I wanted this new school district. I know,make fun of me now. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
KnightofTexas said:
Anyone heard of or used the Level-Right product from Maxxon?You pump it into the room and smooth it out with a squeegy. www.maxxon.com
Yes . but thy have differnt grades of it . some you can be hand poured some have to be pumped . if dun right . it works. if not it's a pan . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
floor

KnightofTexas said:
I don't know who to call.I want to install laminate flooring in my home,but my cement slab has a serious slope as you walk towards the back door,(about 2 3/8" unlevel). I would like to get this fixed before I put the new floor in.Any suggestions?Can cement be poured to level this out?And if so,what do I do about my sliding-glass door?I want a new door,preferably french style.But wouldn't the new door have to be raised to meet the new height of the floor?Looks like a huge project,huh? I want it done right.Please help!
:eek:
sub floor it if u have the height
if not just shim the low spots

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I think that I have an answer, and yes, it will be a project. Please elaborate on the home construction. Block, stick? Drywall interior? Stud or lath depth, as much as you can provide. I read a lot and fast so give it your all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We've fixed situations like this just pouring concrete, but if its the interior of your home that you're considering, I don't know how viable an option that is to you. Sub-flooring it would be somewhat time-consuming, but it's probably the option I'd go for.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Being an old house.... something comes to mind. Is it possible this room was added on after the original home. Was it an outdoor patio at one time.

I know it sounds stupid but it has been done before. Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts