Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Would love you guy's opinion on this. We're having a ponding issue on an interior slab poured and is not being slope/drain to the designed intention. Any recommendations on how to remediate or fix this? Any input would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
the puddles, filler/top coat maybe...

they look like hell and often don't last long.

saw cut remove & re-pour.

no slope to drain...

depending on the amount of liquid you have it MAY be possible to groove the floor to get liquid to drain...

best results on slope to drain will be to cut, demo & re-pour.

owners may not accept a filler patch job or grooves.

after all they did pay to build to spec...

is this the same job the rusty door is at?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looks like a mechanical room.
Unfortunately, I'd just live with those small puddles, because the only right way to fix it is to remove and repour the floor slab. Since you already have equipment in place, that's probably not a viable option.

I've never seen any of the top coats that held up worth a hoot.

Should have inspected it better before you started pouring equipment pads, setting equipment, etc.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
what are the control specs on the slab finish?

ponding MAY be allowed if it is minor and NOT in a path of travel or work area.

the lack of slope to drain, the owners could demand it be fixed and done according to plan & specs. same with the ponding.

definite lack of proper supervision on the job.

is it your or did you inherit it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inherited, unfortunately. They stuck my sorry ass on the punchout for this job. Plans and specs show no real slope on this floor level. There are floor drains on this floor level, but the plans show only a very localized slope to drain. The discussion was to have them push the water towards the drain. The owner is being a bit difficult about it, like he hadn't been on this job or seen the plans the last few years this thing was being built. This is only my 2nd week on this site and I'm already pulling my hair with some of these items...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had a bird bath or two myself over the years... Usually when trying for "dead flat". Makes you watch closer the next time. Hard to fix after the fact. You could try to fill, but it may not last long.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Had a bird bath or two myself over the years... Usually when trying for "dead flat". Makes you watch closer the next time. Hard to fix after the fact. You could try to fill, but it may not last long.
My grandfather had a slab poured before I was working for myself, giant bird bath in the middle of it.

They used clean stone under it for the base, so I just drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle of it for him, drains fine. Every couple of years he has to take a stick or something and clean the hole out.

Not an ideal fix, but it worked.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My grandfather had a slab poured before I was working for myself, giant bird bath in the middle of it.

They used clean stone under it for the base, so I just drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle of it for him, drains fine. Every couple of years he has to take a stick or something and clean the hole out.

Not an ideal fix, but it worked.

My parents have an attached single garage on their house that has the same solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts