Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
I'm working on a old home. The floor slab is below grade by about 3 ft. It's damp. They put linoleum on it about forty years ago. The slabs were poured in ten foot widths. They are probably fifty years old. The owner wants either composite flooring or ceramic tile. Any inputs would be very welcome. Should I try to waterproof it? Ditra? Layered subflooring with plastic? Where I pulled the old flooring, it smells very musty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damp floor.

The floor is just damp under the linoleum If i dig up the loose spots, it dries out in an hour or so. I don't want to put down tile over a floor that accrues water. It would just loosen anything I install. I'm leaning towards 6 mil plastic and floating 3/4 .underlayment on it. Covering it with a 1/4 masonite , and tiling with composite. It should last as long as the lineoleum that was put down 25 or 30 years ago. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
The floor is just damp under the linoleum If i dig up the loose spots, it dries out in an hour or so. I don't want to put down tile over a floor that accrues water. It would just loosen anything I install. I'm leaning towards 6 mil plastic and floating 3/4 .underlayment on it. Covering it with a 1/4 masonite , and tiling with composite. It should last as long as the lineoleum that was put down 25 or 30 years ago. Any other ideas?
6 mil is only a vapor retarder.

You need a commercial vapor barrier like Stego or Versashield.

If you are going to tile perhaps an uncoupling mat.

Where are the real floor guys?.......:laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.