Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the best method to flash around a Velux skylight, 2' x 4', in a metal roof? The slope is 6:12. The roof is sheet metal, full length of the roof.
thanks for your input

·
Registered
843 Posts
If there are no ridges, I would make a 2x4 or 2x6 curb for the skylight to sit on and have a sheet metal shop make a flashing all the way around it then seal it to the sheetmetal with something like Vulkem polyurethane caulking. Just my 2 cents.
Rj

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I though about this after having a commercial roof installed on my home. All that I could come up with was having an adapter plate made of StarBoard machined to fit.

On something like a V crimp you can make up something with a tablesaw and some custom jigs. The material is expensive and you don't want to make a mistake.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Does anyone know what is the best method to flash around a Velux skylight, 2' x 4', in a metal roof? The slope is 6:12. The roof is sheet metal, full length of the roof.
thanks for your input
Velux has flashing kits for metal roofing, and they are very expensive, about the same price of the skylight when I bought them about 10 years ago.

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I am going to be putting in a Velux skylight with a metal roof in the near future. I have talked with everyone I know and everyone says it a PITA. I don't understand why the metal companies don't make something that would work, what with all the steel roofing starting to be installed on residential, but they don't. And by the way the flashing kit for a Velux still costs more than the window, and it only works for flat mount. The size window I'm replacing only comes as a curb mount. :) The metal company says to use pitch break, but I'm not sure if that's the best way. Still researching it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hello,

Here are some skylight details on a roof and walls we did about 3 years ago.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa38/RoofinAk/

We have our own sheet metal shop so that helps. Also the Velux metal kits look like a**.(IMO)
Keith
I'm not crazy about the velux kits either, and they're made of aluminum, not good mixing that with steel. The best route, in my opinion, is to set them on curbs and have a pro bend them up out of the same stock as the panels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2x6 curb with Z-flashing around the bottom and sides, the top gets an small pan under with a large pan over sealed with butyl and the panels are ran over top of the pan but leaving about 10" space so the ribs don't damn water... same process with Off Ridge vents... the 2x6 frame gets peel-n-sealed to the roof also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.