Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Has anyone ever installed a skylight over a shower?

Customer wants one for a bathroom remodel.

never thought of it before, but it seems like it should be fine. Just wondering if anyone's had problems with condensation or something from a steamy shower?
I had one in my last home, took out a window in the tub area and installed.
I did install a vent light in the shaft to vent the skylight area and serve as a light at night. The whole thing worked very well.

You need a gooooood exhaust fan.

What about one of the solar tube things?
Yes on the exhaust fan and yes on the tube also. These can be had with lights and fans built into them and are much more energy efficient than a traditional skylight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep - I'd feel more comfortable installing a Solatube skylight vs the standard; if you can talk them into it. Maybe they're all freaky about the sunlight in the shower though. Some people get into that. :eek: :eek:

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I've never installed one myself, but I have seen them installed wrong. Vent's are key and make sure you use plastic corner bead (I've seen the metal one rust). I agree with the rest though, a solar tube would be the best.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Has anyone ever installed a skylight over a shower?

Customer wants one for a bathroom remodel.

never thought of it before, but it seems like it should be fine. Just wondering if anyone's had problems with condensation or something from a steamy shower?

I do it all the time. I use velux brand never had a problem with it

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I once did a kitchen in a one bath house, with a greenhouse window that covered the entire wall above the tub/shower. I asked the owner (woman) if she felt self-conscious taking a shower there. She replied "no, but sometimes the neighbors look over the fence".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts