Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have installed mostly Velux, a few Andersen and Wasco over the years.

I don't know that I can place this one. IIRC, the metal color looks like Andersen that I have done, but IDK.

Maybe one of you have been around one that looks like this?

They are motorized.

Roof Daylighting Window Glass

Sport venue Skatepark Daylighting Roof Concrete

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
It looks like Fakro Flashing kit and Velux skylight, could also be Wasco, but I'm not sure if Fakro flashing kits would work with Wasco.

Take a picture to a roofing place and see what they say.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Looks like a skylight that was sold here in the northeast in the '80's. It came from Europe and was kind of an Andersen clone. The middle pivot feature gives the clue.

Blefa was the company. I put in quite a few of them. The importer was in the eastern shore of MD. He then started manufacturing his own line that were somewhat clones of Roto under the name Starlight. Unfortunately he passed away in the early '90s and from what I heard some guys from NY bought his business. I don't know what happened to them after that.

Any markings on the glass?

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Greg, do you remember Trilco? Big Andersen, Wenco, and Atrium patio door supplier in the '70's and '80's. They had a place around Toms River and also one in Pemberton.

They were the ones who pushed out a lot of those Blefa skylights.

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
Greg, do you remember Trilco? Big Andersen, Wenco, and Atrium patio door supplier in the '70's and '80's. They had a place around Toms River and also one in Pemberton.

They were the ones who pushed out a lot of those Blefa skylights.
The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember that company name (Its been so long, now I dodn't remember what I did yesterday :laughing:).

In the mid 80s I was doing 22 house development and I was getting all the windows through a Lumber yard which was called Black Stone lumber and they got brought out by Builders First Source by the end of 90s I think. The last two houses in that development, I got all material and windows from Colombia Lumber, my carpenters son was a salesman there, so I gave him business and he introduced me to Wenco's and I only used Wenco windows on the last 2 houses in that development.

Man you just sent me down the memory lane, if you think about it, its amazing how long we been around and still at it :thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
I remember when BlackStone was around.:thumbsup:
What a good company that was, one stop and you got your lumber, stairs, windows, kitchen,millwork, etc.

You call for next day delivery no matter what size lumber load it was, and they tell you that you 23 stop on the list, and 7am the truck is on the job-site dropping the lumber load.

I miss the good old days :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm going guess "Roto" brand. Roto looks just like Andersen, because they are. Or were. I never put in a unit that would open, so I can't say for sure. About 20 years ago, Roto was bought out by Andersen. That is why they look so similar. Andersen didn't change the design, just the name on them.
One thing about Roto is they don't have their name on them. Anywhere that I could find.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I'm going guess "Roto" brand. Roto looks just like Andersen, because they are. Or were. I never put in a unit that would open, so I can't say for sure. About 20 years ago, Roto was bought out by Andersen. That is why they look so similar. Andersen didn't change the design, just the name on them.
One thing about Roto is they don't have their name on them. Anywhere that I could find.
Maybe it was what the suppliers here sold, but I only remember the operable Roto's as having the linkage that lifted them, not the struts.

OP, if they are Andersen I would think they would have the logo etched in the glass?

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe it was what the suppliers here sold, but I only remember the operable Roto's as having the linkage that lifted them, not the struts.

OP, if they are Andersen I would think they would have the logo etched in the glass?
I thought about the glass after I left the place. It's also possible there is an ID in the insulation spacer in the glass.

In the end, I suppose it won't matter what brand they are. I will probably end up either making my own flashing or scrapping the units and replacing them altogether.

I would just like to know so I have the option of picking up the phone and ordering.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If it is Andersen, it will have the logo etched in the corner. If it is Roto, it won't have any name on the glass. It will only have the info from the glass manufacturer.
I don't know about the struts. In Roto I only installed fixed units. I've never seen flashing like that though. The top part around the glass looks very familiar though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts