Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an old friend of mine ask me to install some tile in his kitchen. I told him to start the demo and get his tile and backer board. He told me that he didn't want to spend the money on backer and would like to go directly to the plywood. I know I have seen bags of thin set that say you can apply to plywood. I also know I have seen a lot of popped tiles. Does anybody practice this method?

Kansas City Remodeling

www.kcremodeling.com
www.kcbasementfinishing.com
www.kcbathremodel.com
www.kcdeckandpatio.com

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
I recently had an old friend of mine ask me to install some tile in his kitchen. I told him to start the demo and get his tile and backer board. He told me that he didn't want to spend the money on backer and would like to go directly to the plywood. I know I have seen bags of thin set that say you can apply to plywood. I also know I have seen a lot of popped tiles. Does anybody practice this method?
Tile directly over plywood subfloor? :no:

Only hacks practice this method. Funny thing, no matter how much practicing, it never works out :laughing:

Tell your old friend to stick with what he knows cuz it's definitely NOT tiling. Now you know and will NEVER allow this to happen on any of your jobs.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't really do tile but I am curious, I understand how you would replace the sheetrock with hardi board in a verticla install. However I doubt that you would put this stuff on the floor. Again this is not something I do. I just like to try and understand all aspects of construction. I have a couple of tile books and it always looked like they used a screed on the floor

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
I don't really do tile but I am curious, I understand how you would replace the sheetrock with hardi board in a verticla install. However I doubt that you would put this stuff on the floor. Again this is not something I do. I just like to try and understand all aspects of construction. I have a couple of tile books and it always looked like they used a screed on the floor
Seems like tile and paint are 2 things anyone thinks they can do. I own paint brushes but I'm sure as hell not a painter. Tile is not rocket science but you need to know what you're doing.

You want a GOOD tile book? Get your hands on the TCNA Handbook. It will be the best $10 you ever spend when it comes to tiling.
http://www.tileusa.com/publication_main.htm

As for a floor, ALL tile over framing needs an underlayment. There are multiple types. Mud bed is one. CBU (cement board) is another. Yes, you can use 1/4" Hardi over a properly structured ply subfloor.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I will buy the book as I would like to know how you get every thing in level ie starting at the joists you would have some kind of ply etc, then perhaps a finish say carpet, well I don't understand how you would put hardi at say 1/2" then tile on a bathroom next to the carpet.
No need to get into it here. I am not doing any tile like that, And I am not asking any secrets. Was just curious thxs for advise on the book I am going to order it from amazon right now.

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
I will buy the book as I would like to know how you get every thing in level ie starting at the joists you would have some kind of ply etc, then perhaps a finish say carpet, well I don't understand how you would put hardi at say 1/2" then tile on a bathroom next to the carpet.
No need to get into it here. I am not doing any tile like that, And I am not asking any secrets. Was just curious thxs for advise on the book I am going to order it from amazon right now.
Well to briefly answer your question, adjacent floor height is not what determines how a tiled floor is constructed. There are materials and/or methods to get you close but never does the height of carpet say what's used. BTW, 1/4" CBU is all that's needed for a floor. 1/2" is for walls.

Congrats on getting the TCNA book. You've just taken the first step into being a responsible tile installer :thumbsup: (if you actually buy it, read it and follow it :laughing:)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well I followed the link and googled the book but there is no where to link to to buy the book.
I have been asked to do tile but I have declined its one thing I always have sub's do. Its just thats it looks so easy to screw up. I can see a good job, and a bad one and I never want to be on the end of a bad one. So I will stick to what I know, but I think it is important to have a good grasp of everything.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Sometimes, getting the heights flush is just impossible without going insane, so you build the floor out using the thinnest materials that ensure a solid floor and end up using a transition saddle to deal with the height difference.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts

Kansas City Remodeling

www.kcremodeling.com
www.kcbasementfinishing.com
www.kcbathremodel.com
www.kcdeckandpatio.com
Don't do it . It will break all up. Make him use the backer.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
2 flooring outfits in this craphole town i live in. We just finished a pretty extensive remodel and HO was taking care of flooring himself. Came back after tile were set on bathroom floor and they used 5/8 plywood for underlay and mastic for the glue. Looks like we're down to 1 choice now.

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
uhhh KC, your one thread is wondering how to get around permits and now you are wondering how to do work outside industry standards.

This site is about professional tradespeople and sharing professional techniques.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Kc dude. I know you're new and craving attention like me. but, you're going about it all wrong..

Real talk. If your "buddy" doesn't want to spend money on something so detrimentsale to the finished product to save a few bucks, well, I guess this install will be a freebie, right? wrong?

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
As everybody has already said 'use the Hardibacker!'. And make SURE to put the thinset underneath the hardibacker. DO NOT skip that step!!

Tile over plywood is a huge mistake :wallbash: Grout will be cracking in no time.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
As long as it is plywood, not chip board, OSB or particle board and as long as you aren't trying to set stone tile, and as long as you're all set structurally, you can use Kerabond/Keralastic to successfully set porcelain or ceramic tile on plywood. :thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
Sure, last time this came up, I said under the proper circumstances you could lay tile over plywood, I got yelled at....even though I was correct.

SO

You can lay tile over EGP...

BUT

you cannot lay tile directly over a T&G ply subfloor. If you want to tile over the T&G, you must put a minimum layer of 1/2" EGP down first. You can now tile over that layer of ply (the underlayment as I mentioned already in post #4) using modified thinset.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts