Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that has old rough plaster walls, she wants them smooth.

No prob, we can skimcoat to perfection. Normally, we have our skimcoat "Mix". Mainly all purpose,plaster,and strucolite. and go right over.

I know this sounds like an overkill, but id like to coat the entire wall with fiberglass mesh. Have anyone seen those wall repair fabrics? I dont want to call backs for cracks. I'll secure, chip any loose plaster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When we have a wall that is full of cracks we take off all of the loose stuff, put some bonder on the wall and cover the wall with EIFS mesh in the base coat and smooth coat over that. We've never had any problems with call backs and it’s really solid. Maybe a bit overkill but it works well and goes on fast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Plaster weld is good insurance. It’s always a good idea to bond the wall when you're unsure of the substrate. I always bond a wall unless I'm going over fresh blue board.

For bonding, Plaster weld is good but it’s also expensive. I read somewhere on here about using glue for bonder. I’ve tried it using Elmer’s all purpose glue (watered down a little) on a few closets. So far its working great. Much cheaper and the bond strength seems to be excellent. I haven’t done it enough to be able to fully recommend it yet so if you want to be positive stick with the plaster weld but I’m happy with the result enough that I would use the glue on a more noticeable wall for my next test. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was under the impression that you were going to put EIFS mesh over the whole surface. (Very strong and will definitely get rid of the cracks) Not seeing the wall in question I would say this is the safest option. If you're just using the self adhering mesh over minor cracks the bonder will never hurt and is always a safe bet when in doubt. (Again not being able to see the wall I would recommend this as well.) Better to error on the side of caution. :thumbup:

As for your mixes I do plaster, or I do drywall. I usually don’t mix the two materials but if it works for you that’s great. Maybe I should try it. What we do is imbed the mesh in a gypsum based basecoat like Kal-base or Imperial Base and do a smooth finish over the top using Diamond veneer plaster or mix our own using 50:50 Ivory autoclaved lime and slow set gauging plaster, or you can use Kal-Smooth. (There is another product called X-kal but I’m not a big fan personally, I don’t like how it finishes) Using these products and if you’re a good mechanic you should be able to base it in about an hour and the finish coat in 2 hours. Let it cure for a couple days and paint it. If the color the client wants is lighter its not that hard to tint the plaster and you don’t even have to worry about painting, just seal it with soapstone or a wax once it’s dried out. Looks amazing when you’re done, I’ll try to post some pics sometime.

Let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts