Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a drywall job were the home owner scraped of the popcorn ceiling then painted it all the paint bubbled and is falling of I would like to skim coat the hole ceiling any suggestions on why this happened

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
She painted over loose texture and dust. I have come in behind many of these homeowner gaffs just like this one. It wouldn't hurt to wipe down the ceiling with a damp sponge to collect the remaining dust where the paint bubbled.

In a situation like this...... I would do a glazing coat with USG "green top". Just knife it on & and knife it off like you are doing a level 5 finish. It will allow the skim coat to bond a lot stronger to that mess. Green top has some pretty strong adhesive qualities and will allow your skim coat to lock on. I have used this technique many times over gloss painted - badly scraped and painted - and other nasty looking situations. Some of these jobs are 10-12 years old and still look great.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Improper prepping. Wrong primer. No primer. Drywall paper lifted. You need to cut out all bubbles/lifted paper. Oil prime, then skim as needed.

I've witnessed plenty of homeowner popcorn removal disasters. :tank::gun_bandana::2guns::gunsmilie:

Good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Since you said the paint was peeling in places why not a prime coat with peel stop or gardz before skim coat. And I really like the ultra lite mud in the puke green bucket for skim, easy on and off and easy to sand.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just started a house that has popcorn and they want to removed...I am going to do one room as a test before I do the hole house
here is what I am going to do
1. 10'' power sand with vac/ scrap corners with 5'' knike with vac
2. mist water and wipe with a lambs-wool pad to remove dust left from vac
3. repairs if needed / and I did find some nail pops after sanding today
4. mix ap black led with mudmax on first coat
5. scrap no sanding and 2nd coat with out mudmax in mud ap black led
6. scrap no sanding and skim coat/prime and paint

·
Registered
641 Posts
I power sanded the room in 10 mins with no dust no mess ...did not even cover anything up in the house...the room I started in is the library.
this was a test and I will do the rest of the house the same way.
no need to spray water and scrap and make a mess all over the floor.
The only down fall is that I need to clean off my filter after each room.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts