Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I just bought a HD77 wormdrive from a local Homeowner and the saw looks to be in great shape and used very little . But with no load on it there is a rattle sound coming the front of the saw there was oil in it but looked to have never been changed and was low . Is the rattle normal for this saw ? It dosen't do it with the blade removed I am new to wormdrives been a sidewinder guy all my life any help appreciated .

Circular saw Fishing reel Auto part Tool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes asgoodasdead I took the diamond from the blade I have checked every bolt and nut I can find on it and still it rattles. There is some backlash in the gears more then the Ridgid WD at HD but not sure whats considered normal for the Skils. The oil looked like black tar when i drained it maybe wrong kind was used at some point .

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Those 77's can make any number of noises.

Very difficult to kill one of them.

Usually what kills them is too much lightweight cord.

I've seen those things go over 20 years with no oil change or adding any oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's Ill keep an eye on it as I plan on giving her a workout tomorrow I am gonna run it and change the oil again to try and get as much of the old cruddy stuff out and ill order a set of brushes and give that a try also. If nothing else i'm only out $60.00 so a set of gears would be a cheap fix .

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
You can clean the old oil out by draining it and filling with kerosene. Run for a few minutes and then dump out, and add fresh oil.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You can clean the old oil out by draining it and filling with kerosene. Run for a few minutes and then dump out, and add fresh oil.
This is how I do it. Kerosene will loosen and remove all the sludge. Refill with Skil wormdrive lube. If it's a bearing or gear mesh issue, I'd be shocked as clean as that saw looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after further inspection there is supposed to be a O-ring around the fill plug and its missing and has been leaking oil . If it is a gear issue its because someone has run it low on oil and didn't realize it . I tried again with the Blade off and its quiet but as soon as the blade is put on there is a rumble/vibration on spin down/up it just dose not seem normal .

Not sure what to make of it. I don't have another to compare it to so might run it by the tool guy tomorrow and see what he thinks . Thanks for the info on how to flush the oil I will run it some and then flush again with kerosene .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not the soft start its more of a rattle/grinding noise like a bearing is bad or gears are rattling . If i knew how to upload a video I would upload one to see if that would help identify it .

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Defiant said:
Its not the soft start its more of a rattle/grinding noise like a bearing is bad or gears are rattling . If i knew how to upload a video I would upload one to see if that would help identify it .
Put it on youtube and post a link

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks JLS Its a USA made saw . maybe im not use to hearing it but I had a Ridgid started up at HD and it never made any noise except the normal whirrrr noise like my Milwaukee Tilt-loks make.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Defiant said:
Its a USA made saw . maybe im not use to hearing it but I had a Ridgid started up at HD and it never made any noise except the normal whirrrr noise like my Milwaukee Tilt-loks make.
I can hear what your saying, but I don't think it's bad, that's why I want to hear mine. I have that same saw to compare it with

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks that will be a big help if yours does the same . I just don't want to run it and really mess something up that could have been prevented .

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I think all that saw needs is a few weeks of hard use. It sounds to me like it's never been broken in.

I doubt that saw has ever been warmed up.

I suggest you pick up a pressure treated 2x12 and a rip guide for that saw and rip 1/2" strips until the gear box is hot to the touch. That's how they're designed to be used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts