Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this saw? It looks cheap to me my father has a older skil worm drive that is a much better quality,is this saw worth the buy.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Get the Bosch.
Bosch - Quick connect cord. Skil - Standard cord.
Bosch - Tilts to 50 degrees. Skil - Tilts only to 45 degrees.
Bosch - Comes with hook. Skil - No hook.
Bosch 15 amp. Skil = 13 amp.

I've had one for a few years. Not going back to Skil.

I also have a Dude Duster on my saw. Blows the saw dust away from the line.
http://www.dudetools.com/

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Get the Bosch. Quick connect cord, blade tilts to 50 degrees, and comes with a hook.
Skil = 13 amp. Bosch = 15 amp.
I've had one for a few years. Not going back to Skil.
Bosch...Skil on Steroids and a diet at the same time.

Feels lighter, better balanced, but with all the best of the Skil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Bosch w/Direct Connect.

I know I don't use it as hard as a lot others on here do, but I LOVE this saw! Compared to others I've used in the past, even with an abused blade, it cuts through wood like butter. It is the first worm drive saw I have ever used, but so far I am as happy as a pig in a mud puddle.

The only drawback I have noticed, compared to a sidewinder, it is a lump. This reminds me, I have to change the oil in it....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stil Old Skool...

77Mag fan for life!!!

Always thought the Bosch had a lot more "umph", until skil started using the 15Amp Motors in the New Mag's!!!

:tt2:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I've got one. Awesome saw. One of the differences on it from all the other wormdrives is that the top handle is on an angle. Much more comfortable for two handed cutting.

With its' new guard design the guard doesn't hang up during any cuts.

I bought this one to replace my old one which finally died after 35yrs of service. Think you'll get that out of the Bosch?

·
Registered
440 Posts
i have the new and old mags and they are both great and i like the 15A better

·
Custom Builder
1,412 Posts
Run four bosches love them compared to skill used to only run skills. About the only problem ive had with bosch is running one over with the lift. They run almost non stop all day between six guys for the past four or five years. I bought one direct connect for a bigfoot 10 inch took it to my tool guy three days later to get a regular cord on it hated not having a reg cord on it i have a bad habit of lowering itto the ground by it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here. I talked to Emma at Big Foot on Friday because I broke my saw. She said they stopped using the Bosch motors because it wasn't built very well. I know in the past she had mentioned they were thinking of switching to the Ridgid motor.

She said they've been buying the 15amp Skil motors and they are performing much better spinning larger blades. They had to machine parts on the Bosch to keep the blade from wobbling, but they don't have to with the Skil motors.

I know that our old 13amp Skil runs the 10" blade much better than the Bosch saw Big Foot if repairing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased this Bosch worm drive its my first worm drive saw and I must say I'm simply blown away at how much better worm drives are then sidewinders.Although I did not realize you had to flip the blade around on the worm drive saws I kinda felt like an ass burning threw a piece of wood.:no:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here. I talked to Emma at Big Foot on Friday because I broke my saw. She said they stopped using the Bosch motors because it wasn't built very well. I know in the past she had mentioned they were thinking of switching to the Ridgid motor.

She said they've been buying the 15amp Skil motors and they are performing much better spinning larger blades. They had to machine parts on the Bosch to keep the blade from wobbling, but they don't have to with the Skil motors.

I know that our old 13amp Skil runs the 10" blade much better than the Bosch saw Big Foot if repairing.
Interesting everyone I know who has this saw say its the best they ever used,compared to the skil this saw wins the eye test easily its very well made.I have not used it enough to comment on performance nor do I have any other experience with a different brand worm drive so I'll have to take your word on this.

It's actually a pain in the ass trying to buy a worm drive most people swear by skil but they are so damn cheap looking it kind of made me leery,the rigid looked good and at one point it was a toss up between it and the bosch but the overwhelming positive comments about the bosch swayed me.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
I'd like to see what DeWalt does with this saw.
I'd like to see them make a comeback and produce great tools again.
I'd give this saw a shot.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
That Dewalt looks like a copy of the Skill.

My skill 77 lasted me 40 years. Just bought a new 77M and it is fantastic.

You can't argue with a proven track record. I'll stick with Skill.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
It is not a copy of the Skil. Trust me on that one :thumbsup: And it cuts very well. It bevels to 53 and cuts that on a 45 miter like butter. Stay tuned for a review . . . .. :whistling
I just hope it's better quality than the old DeWalt framer. I liked the saw, but it had no business on a framing crew.:no:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I just purchased this Bosch worm drive its my first worm drive saw and I must say I'm simply blown away at how much better worm drives are then sidewinders.Although I did not realize you had to flip the blade around on the worm drive saws I kinda felt like an ass burning threw a piece of wood.:no:
Shady, I gotta hand it to ya....I laughed so hard I almost cried when I read this.

We all have thoes sort of moments.:whistling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts