Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help regarding the longevity of Skidguard plywood for an upcoming wheelchair ramp.

The Simpson literature claims it lasts "for years".... I'm guessing thats somewhere between 2 and 20.

Does anyone have some insight on it's life expectancy and how it wears over the years.

This ramp can expect a healthy dose of rain, pine needles and about 1/2 sunlight.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The top and bottom are both coated w/ a rubberized material. Protect the edges and you should be fine.
I don't have pics yet of any that's been out in the weather for years though...

Mac

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mac,

I guess what I want to find out is (assuming a correct install) if it's a 5 year product or 10 year product or something that will last 10 but start looking bad in 2 years.
Maybe I'll try to get a hold of the local rep and find some local installs. I'll post if I find any good evidence.

Rob

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to the manufacturer yesterday, pretty helpful, no huge revelations but this is what I gathered: You'll see some fading but not a whole lot, that's why it's beige. It's longevity is tied to the envelope integrity. When they get failures it's either a bad joint or a tear left untreated. He says 10 years is very reasonable, and much longer if maintained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts