Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a used skid steer but I have no idea on what size I want/need... I just need one to do minor grading and backfilling foundations, unloading materials, but the biggest use would be using it for digging post holes and I would build a boom to set trusses on pole barns. Does anyone have one they use for these jobs that could shed some light on sizes, and lifting capacities? and towing it wouldn't be a deciding factor in the purchase.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
You're going to want something with some hp. I started with a 40hp then got a 55hp now I'm looking at for a 70hp or bigger.

You're going to want more than 3k lift before it tips. So pretty much you should be in the 10,000lb machines or you'll be disappointed

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
questions you'll need to ask yourself:

#1 track or tires ( property damage concerns)
#2 lift & loading height requirement (dumping into pickup or tri-axle)
#3 what options do you need, full cab, a/c, heat, gas-diesel
#4 will it be able to lift a truss with a jib boom ?
#5 do you have enough work for it to justify the cost & maintenance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.) would love tracks, but the up front cost then maintenance cost has me seriously looking at tires
2.) this is the part im trying to figure out
3.) need and want are two different things. I don't need cab and ac but o I would love it lol
4.)im not sure, that's what I am trying to figure out. what I need to look for in size to handle lifting trusses with a boom, that's the most important factor for me.
5.) No, but I have personal uses for it that to me justifies me buying it, being able to use it in my business is a bonus, plus I have a couple guys that are very good operators that I may be able to utilize with the machine to make money with it

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I had a Case 1845C. Was great and did everything I wanted it to do. Sort of. Always wanted it to do a little more, be a little bigger, sometimes a little smaller.
Now we have a New Holland LX525 turbo. (LX5something brain is dead this morning) It isn't quite as big as the Case. Both are about 1700 lbs lift. Case had more hosepower (about 8 more), but no turbo. Both would drill post holes like crazy. Both had tires. The maintenance cost of tracks has always stopped me. Some will say not too bad, but my ex-father-in-law paid $8,000 to have his Cat tracks rebuilt.
As far as setting pole barn trusses. I have seen the pictures of a skid loader setting trusses in a pole barn. There is a company that makes an extendable boom for this. I'm not really convinced it is the way to go. You would have to carry the truss in by hand and then lift pretty much straight up with the boom. Better than by hand, but for my money I would pay a crane to swing them up.
I've never done this or seen it done, but I've rolled skid loaders forward, twice, by loading the bucket too heavy. Not in the mood to do it again.
As far as lift, older case would not load into a tandem truck. New Holland makes it over the side, easy.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have Bobcat S185, larger mid sized. Will lift 2k easy, does everything I need it to do. Love tracks but the extra weight and costs make it cost prohibitive at this time.

Would not have a cabless IMO, cab is safer and I like the door on to keep yourself a bit cleaner. But, when door is on you have to have the bucket all the way down or the door will not open. I did have a larger chunk of concrete come out of the bucket while loading (I wasn't paying enough attension and should have tipped bucket forward while lifting). The chunk hit the door, would have hit me, can't believe it didn't break the glass but it didn't. I have broken a cab door with a log before but other than a few little cuts, I was ok. Did 2 grand worth of damage to control panel and door.

S185 has a turbo, by buddy has a S175, no turbo and it is a HUGE difference when digging or really working it.

With bucket and fuel it weighs easily 9k, so not just any trailer will work. They are heavy, better have good trailer brakes too.

S185 has the articulating arms and will easily dump into a larger dump truck. If you want tracks, you can put steel over the tire tracks on the wheeled models, kind of a pain but they work good.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
First make sure you can fit in the machine.

Next do you have a trailer that can haul it?

Local parts/service available?

Does the machine have the power and available attachmrnts for what you need?

Machines are a lot like women...

They need lots of attention and servicing.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hauling it won't be an issue I haul a 15k pound backhoe with my truck an trailer so the skid will be easily handled, never thought bout fitting in it griz lol that's something to consider lol

I've got two lined up for demo so I should know more about what I need by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts