Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have comments on the actual compaction achieved using a drum compactor with a skid steer loader and a large plate compactor attachment for a skid steer like a Stehr.com or Allied Skidpac?
I have read the drum compactor attachments do not work all that great while the plate packers work wonderfully.
Looking at acquiring one or the other so I am looking for your comments.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard that in a perfect world it would be best to use both. But yes if you had to choose on I would choose the plate style compactor.

·
Contractor
7,430 Posts
I used a drum roller attachment once, it did not work as well as the large wacker bi-direction walk behind plate tamper that we had available.

I have no experience with the others you mention.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have used the vibrating sheeps foot for the bobcat and use it on ALL my concrete jobs. I have a vibrating plate compactor and it puts the vibrating plate to shame. I had the neighbors on a garage foundation that I was using the sheeps foot on come out and wonder what was going on because it was shaking their house.

I use steel forming stakes for concrete forms and knew exactly where I had compacted and where it was undisturbed soil. The compacted soil was ALOT tougher to drive the stakes into, very noticable!

I will swear by the vibrating sheeps foot in 8 to 10 inch lifts max.

·
operator
394 Posts
I've used the drum roller for a skid steer and honestly I wasn't impressed. A big plate tamper will do a better job. As far as the plate tamp attachments for skid steers I've never used one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts