Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
This program looks great so far but damn it is hard for me to pick up!

Any guidance other than the Google vids and trial and error?
Go on YOUTUBE and type in anything you want about Sketchup and you will get many videos showing you how to do something. You can definitley learn something form those videos.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't have any better advice than the google vids but I will say it gets easier. I have a tone of Autocad experience and it still took me a while to figure out sketch up.

My advice would be to start with smaller projects, maybe a cabinet you want to build for your shop, or a shed for the back yard, then work your way up to bigger projects. I still don't have it all figured out but I'm getting faster and better with it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
A copy of "Sketchup for Dummies" is handy and cheap. I got a copy from half.com for about 10.00 delivered, and it was like new. Local libraries usually have the book too. Community colleges often have courses for Sketchup as well.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.
I'm just trying to draw a simple deck as practice and am finding I have to start by drawing simple lumber elements.

Can't barely do that :wallbash:.

Problem with the vids is I don't even know what I don't know. They are good, I need to keep watching them 2 and 3 times.

I guess I need to keep practicing away and eventually it'll come to me.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Do the "Dummies" book. They have interactive examples online. It is an easy program for novices, but people with any other cad experience seem to have a steeper "relearning" curve. But it WILL come to you.

I have years of AutoCAD experience, but I've come to LOVE SU, and now use it much more than any other program.

Reactions: bert0168

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the "Dummies" book. They have interactive examples online. It is an easy program for novices, but people with any other cad experience seem to have a steeper "relearning" curve. But it WILL come to you.

I have years of AutoCAD experience, but I've come to LOVE SU, and now use it much more than any other program.

I'm familiar with the hardcopy books.

Is this an online "book" you are talking about with the online examples?

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks for all the guidance guys!

Mics, some neat stuff you drew there. I'm nowhere near that.

I want to use it for both permit submittal drawings of decks and additions and as a presentation tool for those projects to give customers a 3D rendition. Eventually use it for cabinetry I'm sure.

I currently use Punch Pro (not very good, I know). I was/am using it mostly for plan drawings. The other day I tried to use it for a multi level deck proposal and when the 3d was rendered, what crap. Really was lacking in the detail that it seems you can get from SU.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Architecture Room Plan Door House

Furniture Table Stool Outdoor table Step stool

Wall Line Plan Architecture Parallel

These were simple images of pdf files I used in communicating ideas to clients via email. Sketchup can produce drawings as complicated and photo realistic as you desire. It has a small learning curve compared to other platforms and the free version can produce drawings you can use. The pro version is needed to use the "publishing" features for really great presentations alot easier.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I also use cabinet cruncher and drawer and door cruncher which utilizes sketchup models to produce cut lists for cabinets. However there is now a "cutlist" addon thats free and will make sheet and board cutlists from within sketchup.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This was an airplane hangar I built a couple of years ago. The sketchup modeling program allowed me to meet the client once when he purchased the lot on the air strip and I didn't see him again for two years. He's a great customer. He just flew up again yesterday for the second time this year and is driving down from anchorage as we speak. He bought a plane in june up here and flew it back to his home state for a while.

Roof Line Graphics software Diagram House

Property Home House Building Siding

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Propeller-driven aircraft Light aircraft

The skp is a little diffrent as we are considering extending the roof in one area.

BTW the previous cabinets and mudroom are all in the same building which has a 1200 sqft living area.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
D B T,
Your website turned out really nice......

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
That's Bert.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts