Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone discuss this or know how to make Textures. ?

I need one for decking boards, Lattice, tiles ect.

thanks

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Use photographs all the time for textures (although not in Sketch-up). Scale and image quality are the main challenging aspects in any application.

What you want to know?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
To make a texture you just open the Materials window and click on the Create Materials button. You will be prompted to select the texture image from your hard drive. You can make it a permanent material by right clicking on the new material and clicking "Save As".

There are a bunch of options for the different steps that you can fiddle with.

I usually just download texture packs and use the ones I want via the eyedropper tool in the materials menu. If they're nice and I think I'll use it again then I save them to my library for future use.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know how they have the fence and lattice texture standard. im looking for one that does Deck boards. this way i dont have to make each board.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Any old pic can work, if you don't want the "see through" parts, like the lattice or Fences. Transparency requires an "alpha" channel as part of the texture file. A typical Jpg won't work. Do it yourself transparency you need an image editor that can export png, tiff ... from a file with transparent areas defined.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
you know how they have the fence and lattice texture standard. im looking for one that does Deck boards. this way i dont have to make each board.
I usually make the boards in each model. I have saved components that work for all standard lumber but it's just as easy to make a new group or component as it is to import the component, resize and orient it.

Draw the cross section of the board with the correct orientation. Paint it with the material texture you want. Select the field and bounding edges, either by click-and-drag or by selecting the field, right-click and select bounding edges. Make it a group. Double click the group and use the pull/push tool to make it the length you want. Done.

You can make it a component for something like decking boards but remember that you're going to have to make different size boards unique or they are all going to resize when you edit them. If you want to build up a library of decking components then just use the "save as" function in the right click menu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts