Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a surface 2 pro. How are you guys using sketchup? With the stylus? Or a mouse. How do you zoom in/out with out a scroll wheel? I bought the Bluetooth mouse made for the surface. I thought it had a scroll wheel on it, but it doesn't.

Thanks

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I'm using 3D connexion navigation mouse with Desktop. I would think it would be hard modeling on such a small screen as surface 2 pro, maybe to do a small detail of something.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Trackball. Trackballs are so much better than stupid mice anyways, I'll sit on the couch and set the trackball on the arm and use it, won't see anyone doing that with a mouse.
I'm not going to send you a selfie but that's exactly what I do. I have two mice on the arm of my sofa, one for the laptop and one for the tv. It all depends on the fabric.:laughing:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The surface pro is not a bad size at all. its def not as nice as running on a proper monitor but I'm twice as close to it so its as big as my monitor. I have been able to use it as easy as my desktop.

I use just a Bluetooth mouse when on site or for quick measurement just use the stylus.

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I have been playing around with sketchup a little bit on my Surface. At first, it did seem too small to use. But I got used to it, and I could see myself using it for layouts and dimensions on estimates. That way, I wont have to sketch it up free hand and make notes of dimensions (which I always forget to make a note of something). This should save me time, as well as help me with accuracy, as I will be creating the room/ area I'm going to remodel instead of just the notes & transferring it to sketchup later.

A few notes about the surface. The screen seems to periodically change brightness without any reason (although I'm sure there is). The battery died quickly, even though I didn't use it very much yesterday. I took it off the charger in the morning, after its first full charge. I left it at home and went to work. I came home and played on it for an hour or so, and the battery was at 10%. So we will see if that changes

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
There's probably a sensor that detects the ambient light and changes the screen accordingly

Reactions: builder2345
1 - 10 of 10 Posts