Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to both and from what I can tell so far SU does not have a way to do blueprints unless I subscribe to Layout so I downloaded Draftsite. Best I figure so far looking how the two would interface is I can import an image or view from SU then text or dimension over it. Cumbersume compared to Autocad that I have a lot of hours on that bleeds 3D to 2D but it’s free so not complaining.

Anyone find an easier way to do this or another 3D-to-2D free software?

Not sure how to change the dimension to a fake dimension or how to bring the pic into proper scale yet, I guess that would start in SU?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Pony up and buy the Pro version of Sketchup. Layout is a very-very powerful tool and with some time you will be able to produce documents that will amaze you for a $600 software suite.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
These days in an effort to go paperless the auto/aircraft industry 2D drawing is or has been phased out reducing R&D and manufacturing cost dramatically. Everything is done in 3D where general tolerances apply. If tighter tolerances are required they are specified in 3D space by 3D tolerances or GD&T control frames, sometimes composite. The models are called MBD (Model Based Definition). Key here not seen in construction as much yet is CAM knowledge based software that reads the 3D model and builds to it, CAM automation. For inspection a simple Power Point of the tolerances, and a work order.

If you look at the latest versions of CATIA V5-V6 (from Dassault maker of Draftsite, CATIA and Solidworks) the drawing package is very weak and being phased out. In most industries creating a 3D model and importing it to a separate 2D platform are long gone. We use to do that back in the 80’s using NCAD to CAD. Autocad is not the best CAD/CAM software, CATIA is better.

So I’m looking at creating my first residential drawings and what my subs really need on them. I see I can dimension in 3D space using SU free version. For more detail some standard views in Draftsite I see I can import to SU on a plane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts