Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get something setup so I can keep an eye on my site. More and more tool trailers have been getting broken into around here recently.

Looking for suggestions for video equipment, remote surveillance- if it's even possible for me.

I would probably mount cameras to a pole on my tool trailer- from there I have no clue as to what I can and can't do.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
$1500 won't get you one camera that will work OK in the dark. Everything is going to have to be lit. Even then, identifying individuals off of an inexpensive system is hit or miss - a lot of times it's a miss.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I've heard of guys using game cameras. Not sure of how good they are in the event that they were used to catch someone in the act though. Just thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
I've heard of guys using game cameras. Not sure of how good they are in the event that they were used to catch someone in the act though. Just thought I would throw it out there.
I'll use them to lure people close enough to the video cameras to be able to get really good video. The flash gets people's attention, then if you have lights come on so they see the camera (and you can get good video if they approach it), they have two choices...

I like game cameras a lot, but they cover a narrow area.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
$1500 won't get you one camera that will work OK in the dark. Everything is going to have to be lit. Even then, identifying individuals off of an inexpensive system is hit or miss - a lot of times it's a miss.
No 1500 will get you a killer camera with a great night time picture. Around 1000 bucks you can get an Axis light finder with onboard SD card recording.

Useless at night, just like Piper.

The problem here is you also need to pay for a cellular internet connection for remote viewing.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Prices keep dropping. Which product are you talking about?
They have dropped huge in the past two years, HikVision got a contract to supply cameras for the Chinese government and the prices have crashed. Other manufacturers can't compete with them but they have really dropped their numbers.

I've been installing the P3364VE almost exclusively for outdoor applications where a good night time colour image is needed.

Here's one with the same technology, keep in mind this is almost pitch black.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Vendor
167 Posts
I agree that the Videofied system does have a monthly fee, but it is a realtime system. Videofied is designed to protect assets, and not just an area. It is also not designed to identify a masked perp, but to let the police know that a crime is in progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts