Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Design Build
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to take a sketch of a future ICF + SIPS home for a builder up here and design plans for him.

SIPS is new for me. I have been scouring the net for typ. sections and the like. I will number my questions for easier and ordered responses...I do that because at WallMaxx...we care ;) :sick:

1. Anyone have any good links they might share?

I will be documenting this into a "beginner's how-to" tutorial. (We used to call them SOPs back in the day)

I am seeing some pictures that show it will have a typical framed or truss roof under it.

2. So these panels are not self supporting?

3. If I design a sufficient roof system for our snow load requirements up here, does SIPS just lay on top of that? (Starting to get into the engineer's business - I know?) I just need to get as accurate a drawing produced before this goes in for engineering. I try to not participate in the garbage in garbage out philosophy.

4. My preference would be to frame the roof with built-up timbers 4' o.c. so that most of the ceilings could be exposed, sloped wood or something nice.

Comments - suggestions? PS, I have the stair tutorial almost converted from PC - powerpoint :thumbdown
to
MAC - Keynote and as a quicktime video:thumbup:
...once I get a good narration track recorded - look out.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Who are you getting the panels from?

Get a hold of the guys at Premier Building Systems in Fife, WA.

Also look at their website and their technical library where they have details downloadable in PDF and DWG formats.

http://www.pbssips.com/

And yes they can be self supporting, just depends on the span and complexity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you trying to get a builder to design a roof using SIPs? The better solution is to find a SIPs manufacturer that you want to work with and have them design it to fit your walls. They have the software and the experience and most will do it for free. If you need a panel company I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions here or go to the SIPs association and check their directory www.sips.org (if the url doesn't show go to sips dot org. Personally we use Extreme

·
Design Build
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who are you getting the panels from?

Get a hold of the guys at Premier Building Systems in Fife, WA.

Also look at their website and their technical library where they have details downloadable in PDF and DWG formats.

http://www.pbssips.com/

And yes they can be self supporting, just depends on the span and complexity.
THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!

That is the best link so far. They even supply .dwg files. :thumbup:

I will keep a running documentary of this process for anyone who might care.

Thanks again.

·
Design Build
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you trying to get a builder to design a roof using SIPs? The better solution is to find a SIPs manufacturer that you want to work with and have them design it to fit your walls. They have the software and the experience and most will do it for free. If you need a panel company I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions here or go to the SIPs association and check their directory www.sips.org (if the url doesn't show go to sips dot org. Personally we use Extreme

Yes...they will design it. I have been tasked with getting the permit level prints drawn. Since I am step one, I want them to be as complete as possible. I would never assume the liability of designing this. It would be like me drawing out trusses.

If I can get the right data, however, I will propose a stick built roof system underneath the SIPS that I will design within the parameters of the rafter tables in the 2006 IBC / IRC. So far, I am still allowed to go that far.:clap:

Man...this is what I love about this site. Y'all helpin a brother out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
These guys even have roof panels made with I-joists that can span 20' to 24'. Also standard dimensional lumber roof panels that will span up to 20'.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bad - we use Enercept not extreme. They take care of everything for us. When I started doing sips I just ordered the panels and did it all myself which is a great way to learn how to do them but now that I know everything LOL I go with the most important thing I learned. Let them draw it and cut the panels.

As far as doing a stick frame under the roof panels I know people that do that which is fine but I figure why spend the time and money when I all I have to do is swing a beam in place and set the panels. Plus my customers like being able to have an open ceiling if they want it.

I will say this though, the panels are pretty simple to work with but it makes a big difference to have the right tools. I started out cutting both sides of the panel and then running a sawzall through the foam but now I have the saws to cut it all in one pass. Which I seldom have to use because I have them cut. You will need a foam cutter though for the thickness of the panel you are using for cutting out space for splines etc as there is always something that needs to be adjusted. And you will want to get a foam gun and tank to do your joints. And most important is get some good lifting hooks if you are doing roof panels. I made my own and I keep thinking about manufacturing them but I am sure your panel supplier will either have them or can tell you where to get them. We keep talking about setting up a supply business for sips tools and equipment, maybe next year.

If you have any questions you need answers on you can call or email me and I will be happy to help. I will see if my info is in the profile. If not just say something and I will get them to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts