Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're doing our 1st SIP construction starting Monday....

I've had a decent amount of time to look over the schematics, and I think I have a handle on the construction/layout....

We're drilling holes for wiring chases in splice studs and plates, cutting pannels to use in various corners etc.... The local rep is coming Monday to get us rolling...

Frankly, This is what we're doing, we have the walls, instructions, but no experience.....seems easy enough, so what's the catch??

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just did our first SIP room addition a couple weeks ago. We used t&g panels with a spline. Our major obstacle was the weight of the panels and getting the tongue & groove to line up. Mostly manhandled the panels as they were being attached to an existing house, not much room for equipment although we did use a telehandler for the roof panels. Still heavy to get them into place.

Do your specs call for sealant on the groove? Tape the seams? Are you setting the wall on concrete or a SIP floor?

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Electrician will hate it but your sheetrocker will love it.
That's kinda what I was thinking....

DW, towel bars, wainscotting, etc....that'll be great for us!!

So we have the PRAZI chain attachment for our skil saws.....we cut out window 'x' and use for W2...this is definately going to be interesting.....

Warner: what do you use the long screws for??

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I think i remember seeing them on this old house one time running long ass screws through the roof panels into the top plate and the ridge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
very pop in Canada,but what's up with those screws? $980 per box!!!!

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
you need a couple of foam guns :thumbsup:
also a modified 7'' angle grinder with a special blade in case you have to
route out some panels for windows and doors

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do your specs call for sealant on the groove? Tape the seams? Are you setting the wall on concrete or a SIP floor?
We are using foam sealant everywhere, taping interior panel joints, and we are doing walls ONLY...conventional wood floor system and radiused 2x rafters.

I can see the roof panels being a pain, but four of us moved an 8'x13' wall section like nothing.

I just got the updated 'Cross Section' drawing, and wall schedule...apparently, we're using 8" panel screws to attatch a ledger to our 2nd floor walls that are accepting (shed roof type) rafters.

side note: I'm posting progress pictures of this job...
http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/radius-jig-cutting-2x-rafters-66403/
I'll have SIP pics up by the end of next week.

Also MODS, or anyone, can I revise the title of that thread? or, should I start a new thread and re-post the pictures in the 'carpentry picture thread'? I know everyone likes pictures, so I would appreciate any suggestions....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wow , an addition kit ? Whats the advantage over stick framing a 20x20 room addition .
Is the framing material less money ? less time ? It looks like you still have to finish the windows ,siding, roof ,dry wall , break Thru opening etc. Looks very cool but seams like a lot of planing for one room .
The framing is the fun part of the job . John

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see the electrical rough in being a PITA for everyone!

I know the designer will spot recepticals and sconces no where near the electrical chases.....I don't know....yet:blink:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow , an addition kit ? Whats the advantage over stick framing a 20x20 room addition .
Is the framing material less money ? less time ? It looks like you still have to finish the windows ,siding, roof ,dry wall , break Thru opening etc. Looks very cool but seams like a lot of planing for one room .
The framing is the fun part of the job . John
I'm with you....I'll know soon enough, but, seems to me the main benefit is the thermal envelope/break.....

From the field, with the winters we get here, I'm stoked that as soon as the walls are up, and we get dried in it will be warm inside! No waiting the month or two for the mechanicals before insulation!!!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can see the electrical rough in being a PITA for everyone!

I know the designer will spot recepticals and sconces no where near the electrical chases.....I don't know....yet:blink:

Yep, electrical will we a PITA for someone. This is our first SIP wall job and we ran the wire as we went. Saved the electrician a lot of hassle but probably added at least half a day to our install.

We've built tons of rooms with SIP floors over the years, and quite a few roof systems.

The advantages include 6" thick R-22 walls, 8" thick R-38 roof with an "automatic" cathedral ceiling. The roof panels are heavy, but once they are set so is the sheathing and insulation. Saves a lot of time.

Cost wise, I think I can sell a SIP room addition for about 20% less than a conventionally built room addition. The verdict is still out though as we analyze the pros and cons of each room after completion.

Besides terrific energy savings, another "green" aspect is the lack of leftovers. It's hard to find a piece big enough for samples.

If you have the right supplier, SIP construction can be a good way to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
How much time can you possibly save on a frame ?
We built a 20x20 addition on Friday floor 2x10 wall 2x6 rafters 2x10 collar ties 2x6 3/4 ply on the floor 1/2 ply on the roof OSB for the walls . Monday we have collar ties to finish , gable end studs, facials . windows ? 3 men 2 days tops . Insulation costs about 900 buck here installed . Id rather give up the block work then the framing I hit two leach tanks and a old septic on 2 20' walls . :eek: We removed 3 more tanks and replace the septic on the other side of the house . roofing and siding and 2 covered decks and im out a there . My HO is trying to finish it up. :sad: He keeps adding thing for us to do .:thumbup: John

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a few pics of a wall splice we did today.

sponaugle.3 031.jpg

sponaugle.3 022.jpg

sponaugle.3 021.jpg

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A few more....so far, assembly has been straight forward...GLUE EVERYTHING....

We are marking out all the wire chases on the plywood and we're screwing all the outside corners with the 8" screws....My biggest complaint so far is that the panels are only made to the foot....IT IS NOT a panelized system!!! an 8'6" wall comes 9'. I already made a mistake doing pre-assembly on a 9' wall the should have been 8'11"...

sponaugle.3 015.jpg

sponaugle.3 009.jpg

sponaugle.3 017.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts