Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 30' long x 6'4" high 12" wall I have to pour up against an existing hollow CMU wall. Normally would just use coil rod insert's and loop tie adaptors to a Symons panel if it was a solid wall. I proposed using a Hilti screen and epoxy coil rod and loop ties and the engineer does not want me to tie into the existing CMU wall. I know they make steel A frames for this application seems like overkill for a 6'4" wall. I was thinking a whaler at the top and bottom with a strong back every 4' and a 45 degree kicker at every strong back. Has anyone done a form like this or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Seems to me you are on the right path with the whaler, strong back and kicker plan. Maybe a whaler in the middle as well just for fun. Its easier to have more bracing than find out you need more in mid pour.

·
Registered
649 Posts
We typically use the coil rod method also. I'd say add another whaler and you're on the right track, just throw some extra bracing in for a little security.

·
CCC
275 Posts
I have a 30' long x 6'4" high 12" wall I have to pour up against an existing hollow CMU wall. Normally would just use coil rod insert's and loop tie adaptors to a Symons panel if it was a solid wall. I proposed using a Hilti screen and epoxy coil rod and loop ties and the engineer does not want me to tie into the existing CMU wall. I know they make steel A frames for this application seems like overkill for a 6'4" wall. I was thinking a whaler at the top and bottom with a strong back every 4' and a 45 degree kicker at every strong back. Has anyone done a form like this or have any suggestions?
Just remember, when you only form one side, think twice the pressure. Brace the h*** out of it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why did this have to be done? Bearing for a new extension or was the block unstable? Seems like the block had to be in good shape to hold the p wet concrete back...

Just wondering

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks good. We did somthing similar on a ranch home, we were adding a basement addition and had to underpin under the footer for these 8' walls. Pretty much did the same thing only with gates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts