Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a wicked bear of a time finding Simpson 8x8 Post Bases. None of my local suppliers, lumber or fastener, carry that size. Nor could they tell me yesterday what it would cost to order them. Amazon has them for $65 to $95.

Can anyone tell me roughly what they should cost retail?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll get whichever will arrive the soonest, I just didn't want to waste unnecessary money. I'm not sure why these have proven so hard to find.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
They are pretty common, any lumberyard should have no problem getting them from Simpson.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Californiadecks said:
They are pretty common, any lumberyard should have no problem getting them from Simpson.
Both of my regular yards told me they could get them but had no idea how long it would take or what they would cost. Maybe their brains were mush in preparation for their long weekends.

I'm not big on getting materials from Amazon but sometimes it is a lot faster or cheaper.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
Both of my regular yards told me they could get them but had no idea how long it would take or what they would cost. Maybe their brains were mush in preparation for their long weekends.

I'm not big on getting materials from Amazon but sometimes it is a lot faster or cheaper.
Damn, my rep calls them while in sitting at his desk, hangs up and gives me a price and almost always I have them the next day. That price on Amazon, as Robert said isn't unusual.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Californiadecks said:
Damn, my rep calls them while in sitting at his desk, hangs up and gives me a price and almost always I have them the next day. That price on Amazon, as Robert said isn't unusual.
Yeah I'm not real thrilled. I talked to a salesman I don't know at my usual yard. Told him what I wanted and he just shook his said and said they don't sell it. And then he stared at me blankly and waited for the next thing on my list, like I'd just skip over the bases.

I didn't wait around at the second yard for a price, told them to call me.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah I'm not real thrilled. I talked to a salesman I don't know at my usual yard. Told him what I wanted and he just shook his said and said they don't sell it. And then he stared at me blankly and waited for the next thing on my list, like I'd just skip over the bases.

I didn't wait around at the second yard for a price, told them to call me.
If a supplier treated me like that for a special order I'd get a new supplier.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Inner10 said:
If a supplier treated me like that for a special order I'd get a new supplier.
Yeah I gladly would if another house sold my 8x8 bases!

After I went to the second lumber yard and two fastener outfits I was starting to think I must smell or have something on my face.

Edit: I didn't try to special order from all those places. I figured if Amazon didn't have it I would call up my regular guy at the first yard after the weekend.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
I called my yard just to see and the 8x8's weren't a stock item, but one day out. Since it was Saturday he couldn't give me a $. Odd.
They usually call the supplier to get pricing. Not everybody's prices are the same. This is how it's done here anyway.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dan_Watson said:
Where are you located? Amazon has them for $68, and with prime max two day shipping....Just the savings alone would pay for the prime account for a year....
I'm in and around Portland, Maine.

I have an Amazon Prime account but I noticed that the Prime option doesn't ship for 1-2 months.

In any case, I think I want the Z-Max bases, which Amazon doesn't seem to have.

I framed the porch deck on cribs this past weekend. I wasn't planning on decking it or building the roof until the GC gets back from his 3 week vacation. I'll hold off on cutting the posts and let him make the call next week.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I'm in and around Portland, Maine.

I have an Amazon Prime account but I noticed that the Prime option doesn't ship for 1-2 months.

In any case, I think I want the Z-Max bases, which Amazon doesn't seem to have.

I framed the porch deck on cribs this past weekend. I wasn't planning on decking it or building the roof until the GC gets back from his 3 week vacation. I'll hold off on cutting the posts and let him make the call next week.
I see that now.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My supplier would get them for me. Or I would just order them.

My Z-Max post bases are all rusting. Eight yrs old.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My rep was under the impression that they were going to re-coat a standard base to make it Z-Max and therefore the lead time was around a week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts