Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know that this is a long shot but I am looking for a Simplex Smoke Detector head.

The Model # is 2098-9635

The base is a S1383

Anyone have one or even two sitting on a shelf collecting dust somewhere??
Would prefer new but would consider used if it is good.

Would also like the base but hopefully that is not necessary.

This is for an old Simplex panel and is a two(2) wire device.

If you have one and want to clear off some shelf space let me know and we may reach a deal.

Thanks and have a good day.

Les

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard to find,try these

Try Hochiki think their slr 24v pulls the same current as those old simplex.
Plus Simplex makes a replacement head and base,just don;'t have that number with me

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Hochiki think their slr 24v pulls the same current as those old simplex.
Plus Simplex makes a replacement head and base,just don;'t have that number with me
Thanks for the input. However since I posted the request it has been determined that the smoke detector was NOT the issue. Still searching but I am very sure that the smoke is ok(within reason).

Thanks again.

Les

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Ok then!!!

This has been going on for maybe 3 years. It all started with one zone module going into Ground Fault Trouble every 6 months or so. It was determined that the quick fix was to remove and reinstall this one particular smoke detector and all was good for another 6 months or so.

In the past few months it was getting more repetitive like 2 to 3 times a week. The custodial staff asked for some help and I started to do some diagnostics and at first removed the smoke in question and jumped out the wiring.

I figured if the problem went away it was the smoke and that is when I posted my search. Two days later it went back into trouble which said the smoke was not the problem.

I know it is either a capacitance or a resistance issue that is building up over time but the big question is where. So then I took my best guess as to where the middle of the circuit run was and moved the EOL to that smoke detector and waited. After about 8 days still no trouble. So I then split the last portion of the circuit run again and placed the EOL. It has now been 6 days and so far no trouble has been reported.

My next step is the split the circuit run one more time since I am down to 2 smokes and try again. What I envision is that in my removal and reconnection of cables I have jiggled something and the problem may never come back. Which is a good thing but we will never know what was causing it in the first place.

So there you go. That's the whole story.

Whaddya think??? Phantom??? Murphy?? Other??

Thanks for thinking about it.

Les

·
Registered
11 Posts
Panel ?

I would guess a 2001 panel, Remove card and use a Fluke 73 or higher.
Check each wire to ground, I think 100k or less will give you a ground.
Also check the batteries with a load tester!
The the batteries are dried up (still may read 12vdc with a meter)
They can mess up the charging circuit , rare but drove us crazy on a Simplex 2120 CDT.

1. Does it happen during working hours only and even in the middle of the night? could be as simple as a wire pinched and vibration sets it off ( tied to sprinkler all thread, pinch between a wall or HVAC duct)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would guess a 2001 panel, Remove card and use a Fluke 73 or higher.
Check each wire to ground, I think 100k or less will give you a ground.
Also check the batteries with a load tester!
The the batteries are dried up (still may read 12vdc with a meter)
They can mess up the charging circuit , rare but drove us crazy on a Simplex 2120 CDT.

1. Does it happen during working hours only and even in the middle of the night? could be as simple as a wire pinched and vibration sets it off ( tied to sprinkler all thread, pinch between a wall or HVAC duct)

Sorry!! Yes a 2001 panel.

Thanks for the 100k number. May be helpful if it comes back.

All wire is in conduit all 12 ga. solid thhn or thwn I think.

New batteries installed last year, but will check them.

The issue is only noticed during the day when staff is on duty. It could be going on at other times during the night but would not know since it can clear itself.

No phone call today so we are at 7 days and counting.

Thanks for the insight.

Les

·
Registered
11 Posts
Help to see if POS or Neg wire grounded, Good luck!

Cause: There is either a negative or positive wire grounded on the system.
Fix: The Earth Ground Fault light is lit on the 2001 system and will clear when the wiring is corrected.
Some of the common places to find grounds are:
1.) Test for positive or negative ground:
--- a.) Set meter to DC Volts
--- b.) Connect the negative to TB1-5 (left hand side terminal board)
--- c.) Connect the positive to the panel chassis
--- d.) If the meter reads 12 VDC the panel should be OK
--- e.) If the meter reads 24 VDC then the panel has a positive ground
--- f). If the meter reads O VDC then the panel has a negative ground
2.) Check Zone, Signal and any extra boards in the system.
(NOTE: Remove power or hold in the RESET button when removing and inserting boards)
--- a.) Remove all boards except the Control Board.
--- b.) If ground goes away then insert boards one at a time until ground appears.​
3.) Check Battery by removing battery connections.

·
The Security Guy...
102 Posts
Hey Les, don't know if this is your issue, but I ran into an interesting ground fault last year (or at least new to me :blink:) on an older system (Silent Knight) where the last service was when the batteries were replaced by others about a year prior.

I went out to check on a ground fault that showed up in different places in the system, and did the regular "pull wire - check to ground" readings and came up with nothing abnormal, checked telco same way, still nothing.

Looked down in the battery compartment and could see where the new batteries were and they looked fine, but when I removed the cables and reconnected the system lit up with the GF again.

Pulled the batteries out and found a quarter sized spot of raised paint (the older replaced battery had leaked and bubbled the paint - no steel or rust showing).

The battery showed absolutely no sign of damage, pin holes, etc, and it's plastic, right? But that's what it was - tested by reinstalling the battery and GF again.

Cleaned the area and neutralized the acid, put in a couple pieces of rubber to isolate and wala - no GF's since...

Go figure huh?

Good luck finding your issue buddy... :thumbup:

Jim

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim,

Wow:no: That simply ain't right!! Nice catch though.

It is those kind of things I have been telling the manager on this one. Trying to find a Ground Fault can drive a good man over the edge and beyond.:laughing: And it is worse than trying to catch smoke with a net.

I am just taking this one in small single logical steps. I know if I try to many things I will lose track of what the problem was.

As I said previously in this thread this one could turn out just to disappear due to the wire jiggle that I am doing moving the EOL.

Got my fingers crossed.

Have a good rest of the week.

Les

·
Registered
11 Posts
batteries can cause alot of troubles

Yep!

I bought a battery tester from ADI , and use to check current.

People don;t realize that bad batteries can load the charging ciruit down which can load change the voltages enough to cause all kinds of fake troubles!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts