Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to save replacing the a furnace in one of our rentals. It's internal components seem to be in good shape & should function for several more years if I can get it to fire again. I have some experience with these, but would LOVE your input. Thanks in advance!!!:thumbsup:

Here's my diagnosis thus far:

-Disabled thermostat to remove from picture. Connected directly @ furnace connection to bypass potential faulty wire,etc.
-Power to furnace good. Brand new 20amp line.
-Gas flow to furnace is good.
-Furnace powers on and attempts to light pilot light
Sounds like spark is working, but unable to visually verify this. Clicking sound definitely apparent.
-Removed valve/burner unit. Cleaned thoroughly with air gun & 120grit sand paper to remove residue from spark tip.
-Internal electrical wiring all appears to be sound. Checked connections at terminals. Traced wired. All appears normal.

So the story at this point is the furnace tries to start up and light the pilot light. There does not appear to be any gas getting from the inlet, thru the furnace control valve, and to the pilot light. No smell of gas. The furnace sits, times out after trying to spark, and then shuts down till I reset it.

I imagine it's the furnace gas valve. I've also had it suggested that it's the thermocouple, but wouldn't that just prevent me from lighting up the furnace since the pilot wasn't burning?

Any help would be huge! Thank you!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model #'s

Furnace: Williams 455Fie 55k btu Spark electrode tes
Valve: Honeywell vr8204m 1190 24v 60hz p321766

I don't have anything else with me at the moment, but I can take down any other numbers that may be helpful.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts