Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a small handyman company, my main focus has been restaurants. They dont sign contracts, the managers that call me out (1) arnt allowed to sign them and (2) it's just a var. of small repairs little materail cost, and some labor.

But I am going to be going after some residental stuff here real soon, and I dont trust homeowners. I've had some bad experance in the past and I think if I am going to go after this work I need to protect myself.

I've read some of the post about contracts they are good but most are toward a general trade, where my company does a large var. of task.

Their must be some type of genairc contacts somewhere to chose from...I someone knows a web site that I can go to it would be great

john

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
rservices said:
I own a small handyman company, my main focus has been restaurants. They dont sign contracts, the managers that call me out (1) arnt allowed to sign them and (2) it's just a var. of small repairs little materail cost, and some labor.

But I am going to be going after some residental stuff here real soon, and I dont trust homeowners. I've had some bad experance in the past and I think if I am going to go after this work I need to protect myself.

I've read some of the post about contracts they are good but most are toward a general trade, where my company does a large var. of task.

Their must be some type of genairc contacts somewhere to chose from...I someone knows a web site that I can go to it would be great

john
This was posted in another thread by another person, but I couldn't find it so I went to Microsofts' templates page. If you have Office some of these are nice.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=contract

Otherwise I think you should have a lawyer draft you a contract. It is the best possible $200 or so you could spend. Since you are branching into residential, you are going to need an airtight contract!

The contract laws for every state are different. Microsoft doesn't have regional contracts, and any contracts you get from this site are also going to be from different parts of the country.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
rservices said:
I use more of a work order type for this and so far it has worked just fine in this type of environment
It's usually straight forward and I can verbal a warrantee waiver to the Mgr. if need be and they will understand
Restaurant Mgrs. have to deal with the same thing we do, labor costs, overhead, mark-up, product/workmanship warrantee...
rservices said:
Don't blame you and yes you are
They do not understand the things a restaurant mgr. does
rservices said:
I have found the generic contracts way to vague for residential work
Yes, they worked OK for a while, but as per (as you mentioned), some bad experiences, have found they have not nearly "CYA" in them
One of the reasons I found this site was I was looking for ways to "beef-up" my contracts
I was hoping to find the perfect contract for me in it's entirety here, but have found that was an unreasonable expectation
I have found invaluable information here, but have not yet pieced together the perfect contract for me
What I am ending up with, and have found several members here have, is a few contracts to cover different situations
And most (even the best) still seem to cut & paste a little for some apps
I'd suggest doing a few searches and looking through some more old posts
It will continue to be an eye-opener

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Humble Abode said:
Otherwise I think you should have a lawyer draft you a contract. It is the best possible $200 or so you could spend. Since you are branching into residential, you are going to need an airtight contract!
I know you don't want to spend the $200, hey I don't either, but it will save you over $200, trust me

I was thinking of bringing all my clipped contract blurbs and dropping them on a pro's desk along with a check

The best person to write something in lawyer talk is a lawyer

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
slickshift said:
I know you don't want to spend the $200, hey I don't either, but it will save you over $200, trust me

I was thinking of bringing all my clipped contract blurbs and dropping them on a pro's desk along with a check

The best person to write something in lawyer talk is a lawyer
In some cases it will be less than $200. But if you want to have the best protection for you and your customer, you need an expert who is well versed in the laws of your local and state governments. If someone in California tried to use my contract they would get laughed right out of the state.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
the managers that call me out (1) arnt allowed to sign them
"Well, I understand the limits that are put on you, even as the manager, so if you could find me the person that IS allowed to sign this, we can get to work."

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
With people that I know, the best contract is a handshake. Can't get much more basic than that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been a handyman for a couple of years now after almost 30 years of the corporate world. I don't have contracts. Most of my customers are referrals from people I know. So far no problem.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
rservices - I don't get it how you are wanting to work without contracts with restaurants, I understand a manager won't have the athority you need, but if you are working with the same restaurants over and over again there is no reason why you can't work by fax with them to establish your contract and then use a PO system from then on, you have to be getting notified somehow when they want work done, simply having them fax you a PO at the same time would be a lot better than doing it the way you have been.

If you are going to stick to handyman work with your new residential work that's pretty easy stuff contract wise. Do a search here for posts by Jesse Kirchhoff, I'm positive that at one time he actually posted his handyman contact on here.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

Its not the little restaurant stuuf that worrys me, but I need to get a contract ready to go so when I have to bid on the larger work it's ready to go. It would be something that I would use on residenial.

I've done residential for time to time, I cant stand dealing with homeowners (and I concider myself pretty socialable)

Has anyone ever put in the contract a clause that states that just address's the wife

example;
25% higher if she's home
50% higher if she talks
100% higher if she talks to me for more than an hour a day.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 more thought

rservices said:
Thanks for all the comments.

Its not the little restaurant stuuf that worrys me, but I need to get a contract ready to go so when I have to bid on the larger work it's ready to go. It would be something that I would use on residenial.

I've done residential for time to time, I cant stand dealing with homeowners (and I concider myself pretty socialable)

Has anyone ever put in the contract a clause that states that just address's the wife

example;
25% higher if she's home
50% higher if she talks
I've actualy had to bring some one to run interferance for me, theirs this ladie I know that works cheep because she doesn't really work, runs to the store when I need her to, helps cleam up, does small things. Her main job is to keep homeowners away from me. she's very nice looking, a she talks alot

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
rservices said:
example;
25% higher if she's home
50% higher if she talks
ROFL! That's extremely funny, I know exactly what you mean. But I think it might be illegal, and if it's not I think some of your potential clients will find it highly insulting.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
rservices said:
Seriously - if this true, you are truly wasting your time pursuing residential work. The only thing you are going to be doing is making other contractors who like their customers a lot of money. You are going to be frustrated on a daily basis, your attitude will telegraph to the client no matter how good you think you can hide it. Causing tiny issues to mysteriously balloon into big problems for you continuously.

Your should seriously consider going about this in a different way, sub-contracting to a GC who likes his/her customers would allow you to keep your nose in your work and avoid people.

Also consider: Your repeat customers will rehire you only if you left them feeling:
A) You did good work.
B) They liked you.

No homeowner rehires a contractor with an attitude no matter how good the work was.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mistaken attitude

That's is just my sarcastic humor, allthough I once had a one of the wife's follow me around with a chair for 2 days, so she could sit and talk while I worked, she got tired of standing.

Im sure that is the exception, maybe others could sound off about chatty home owners, I bet there are some great storys

john

·
Registered
960 Posts
rservices said:
That's is just my sarcastic humor, allthough I once had a one of the wife's follow me around with a chair for 2 days, so she could sit and talk while I worked, she got tired of standing.

Im sure that is the exception, maybe others could sound off about chatty home owners, I bet there are some great storys

john
Hey John,

I guess I am one of the very lucky ones because now that I quit remodeling and do only small handymen work (1-6 hours average) my residential clients treat me extremely well. I can’t really put into words how appreciative the older generation is to have someone that they feel comfortable around and that will not talk down to them as if they are children.

I am 6’4" and 280 pounds….so at first they are a little nervous around me. I always do my best to put them at ease and by the time I leave they are promising to tell all of their bridge partners, quilting partners, china painting partners, traveling group or other various social groups all about me. It is a damn good feeling that’s for sure. :)

The only thing that gets me down is when I see one of their names in the paper as an admittance to the hospital or even worse in the obituaries. We always send cards and flowers on those occasions, after getting to know them so well it is sad.

Best of luck,

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Jesse Kirchhoff said:
The only thing that gets me down is when I see one of their names in the paper as an admittance to the hospital or even worse in the obituaries. We always send cards and flowers on those occasions, after getting to know them so well it is sad.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
Jesse, your a class act. :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
rservices said:
I've actualy had to bring some one to run interferance for me,
Ha ha...me too
I've brought my girlfriend before
"Listen, honey, all I have to do is hang these cabinet doors back up, it should take about 20 minutes, but with Mr. Chattypants..."
"...it'll take 3 hours. You want me to go and run interference for you?"
"Pleeeeeeaaaaasssse"
"OK, but you're taking me out to dinner tonight"
"Yes dear....thank you"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts