Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cleaning up the shop and have a bunch of pre-primed finger jointed pine stock, 3/4" x 5.5" and plenty of 1/4" solid stock and MDF rips, along with 100+ feet of rabbeted panel mold I milled on an old job.

I was thinking of making a simple entry door glueup of two of the pieces of pine with a 1/4 MDF Strip in the middle. This would allow me to run a 1/4" MDF panel in the two openings I create with the rabbet already created by having the 1/4" MDF inner strip be only 5" and hence set back in the middle by 1/2".

Any thoughts to the stability of my stiles and rail glue-ups in this scenario? I'm also concerned about the potential visibility of the seam on my strike side edge though with flat stock, glue, and enough clamps this shouldn't be a factor.

.I considered rabbeting the 3/4" pieces out 1/2" deep leaving 1/4" of the 3/4" edge. Then I could run a 1/2" x 1 1/2" piece of MDO on that face.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I would really question the use of MDF in an exterior application.
I also don't think the glue that is used on the finger joints is suitable for outside either.
If it is your own house, it might be a good "research and development" study.
What is the worst that can happen.
I have made two exterior doors with plywood.
One is still being used 20 yrs later and still looks good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BDF,

Thanks for the reply These would be interior not exterior doors. I'm just thinking of doing something a bit different in a rental rather than the old standard 6 panel doors. Figured it'd be a fun way to use some scrap from the shop to build some nicer doors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts