Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find all the different lines of Simonton confusing. I like to offer my customers the best and like to have data to prove it, but short of having actual windows in my hands it's impossible to have any data from the company that says which window is better.

I called the Norandex dealer in my town and asked him which was better and he said they were the same (NOT!), and that the difference was the Prizm was an exclusive brand only sold by Norandex. I then went down there and looked at the windows, and they did not come close to the quality of the Reflections.

Now I look at their web-site and find an Impressions window which is only sold on the east and West Coast. Anybody know anything about these windows, and if they are better than the rest?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Better yet, get a better window. There's nothing appealing about simonton, least of all the fact they'll sell to anyone who passes the mirror test

Have a look at Gorell, Soft lite, Okna and Sunrise.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I have no way to compare, and after looking at those other window websites, none appear to be available to me(except maybe sunrise). Simonton is nation wide and these others are small manufacturers who may or may not be around long. They may be good windows, but there's no way for me to know, and Simonton is always mentioned as one of the top windows. I know I can buy a better window than Simonton, but it's not worth paying double as the return is already around 20 years for a $275 window. If somebody knows anything about Simonton, I'm all ears.

·
Banned
66 Posts
You are worried that gorell ,okna,or sunrise won't be around that long? you need to do more research. the other poster is correct; nothing appealing about simonton at all.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
well I have no way to compare, and after looking at those other window websites, none appear to be available to me(except maybe sunrise). Simonton is nation wide and these others are small manufacturers who may or may not be around long. They may be good windows, but there's no way for me to know, and Simonton is always mentioned as one of the top windows. I know I can buy a better window than Simonton, but it's not worth paying double as the return is already around 20 years for a $275 window. If somebody knows anything about Simonton, I'm all ears.
Okna may be a smaller manufacturer but the other's aren't.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
better yet up sell a full rip and replace with a real window with wood in it and do it right
impressions is simontons 9800 series

Or even better yet a fiberglass window :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i dont know enough about them buddy
i do know a properly installed excellent quality wood base window
can last a lifetime

You bet. Inserts are not the best way to go, just the most economical.

To be honest I hate vinyl windows. We're moving away from them as well as away from vinyl siding, but not to wood OR hardie

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
yea? i remember reading in your other post something about fiberglass siding?sounds intresting
Yes, the nicest looking stuff I've seen in many years, and a hell of a lot greener than vinyl

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
well i hope you can come back sometime and teach me something about it:thumbsup:
I doubt I can teach you much Tom, at least not about installation:notworthy

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
thats b.s buddy and you know it;) hopefully i didnt come across
as a complete ass on the other thread,i can deal with being half assed

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
thats b.s buddy and you know it;) hopefully i didnt come across
as a complete ass on the other thread,i can deal with being half assed
It's all good, Tom:party:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well your going to have to make a more convincing arguement , cause I'm not going to buy it just because you say so. I'm also curious as to what line you were using(in the Simonton), because the prizm (builders grade) is far inferior to the Simonton 5500 (reflections). I compared a dozen lines and brands next to each other and there was a clear difference in the Simonton (for the better), and it's backed up by what Builders say Nationwide through JD Powers and Builder magazine, and from what I have heard builders say over the last 15 years. Also, what is the price on these other brands? Are we comparing similarly priced windows, or are these others in the stratosphere? For comparison purposes, I usually price out a 36x54 double hung window(double hungs are the most common in my area). Even if they prove to be better, I can't install them if i can't get them, although I'll look into it.
The best vinyl window I've ever installed is a canadian brand called Vinylbilt (casements), they sold them briefly in michigan and New York, but no more. They are Canada's biggest vinyl window manufacturer. Their price was really low as well.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just by the numbers the Okna Starmark Gorell UM III and Serious 725 can give you an overall U.17 and a DP of 60. So by the numbers alone Simonton can't compete.

Take a look at them, compare prices, CS (which with Simonton is very good) and QC. Simonton are whores IMO.

BTW, The best window in this country was the Schuco, German engineered window with TPS. TPS is the best glazing system I've ever seen. I say was because they no longer make them :sad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts