Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Silver oxide? ("etching" graffiti)

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ERAD_DIB 
#1 ·
Of course most of the Google hits on silver oxide are for little batteries...

I was hoping one or more of you guys would have some knowledge of what Ag2O might do to paint. From a request for info via the Nograf Network:
"We see a new kind of graffiti that has a brownish color that etches itself into the hard coat layer of films. Rumor says that it is a silver oxide type of mix. Graffiti remover gels only has very limited effect. Do you recognize this type of graffiti?"

I haven't seen it yet, other than this photo, but I'm sure it will eventually "catch on" all over the country, just like some of the other "techniques" that the little germs have come up with for making their messes more permanent. :furious:

See less See more
#3 ·
And charge bou cou bucks for it to boot. Or better yet develop a concoction that removes it ans sell it in packages that are just under half the size you would really need, make'm buy 3 :shifty:

#7 ·
Yeah, but I find paint-overs aren't the greatest method of graffiti abatement. The damn stuff always seems to bleed through, at least when a property owner does it. I was wondering if this latest stuff might be even worse for attacking anything put on over it.
I'm starting to think just stripping it might be best, probably by blasting it, and if the substrate goes too, well, "Paging Mr. Mike . . . "

Another thing about knowing what the "mix" is, though, is when some little bastige gets caught with a jar of it in his backpack. Then a law enforcement officer will know it's used for vandalism, and not some new "recreational pharmaceutical." :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Ah, MS; always wit' da witty answers. :jester:

But the little bastiges invent enough new ideas on their own. ("Fire tagging," anyone?) Instead of giving them "proprietary methods," I'd rather be the guy who knows how to remove all the messes they're already making.
Then again, if I end up removing the substrate along with the graffiti, it's more business for painters, right? ;)

Thanks to Leo, too. I'll send ya some royalties on what I make from that idea. :laughing:

#8 · (Edited)
With all due respect,
No witty was intended there.
Oh, no, I knew you were being serious. (I think we were all typing at the same time.) ModernStyle is one of the Resident Jokers who often has some reply like the above. Not necessarily always helpful, but good for a laugh for even the member asking the question. :jester:

Surely you get called out to paint over graffiti.
I've done some paint-outs, but I prefer other methods. Pretty much anything that covers or removes the graffiti is okay if it lets the vandals know that it's not going to be tolerated.

I hope you find a cure for this.
Thanks, Mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.