Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, just curious here. For a sill plate, most of you use a pt 2 x 6 ? Is that most common when building a house?

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
I have used everything from a 2x4 to a 2x12, treated and untreated. The width of the plate should cover the block. We typically use white wood with a 1/2" sill sealer under.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Ill be doing a sill for a modular company soon. Sill sealer then PT 2x6. Ill cut the top of the bolts then use a regular 2x6 face nailed. Need to do it this way so that there will be nothing in the way for the pieces to get shunt up on when they set the home. Quick and easy to do with me and a helper. Fast day good pay. Ill take it haha

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
on conventional foundation walls we use 2x6. if were building on top of icf we use 2x10 because a 2x6 plate will only be bearing about 3" on concrete

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
In southern Cali, they use PT 3X4................................................................................................................................................................................................

No that's not a typo..... I initially thought it was.....;) mud sills are 3x4 because of earthquake eng.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
In southern Cali, they use PT 3X4................................................................................................................................................................................................

No that's not a typo..... I initially thought it was.....;) mud sills are 3x4 because of earthquake eng.
Yep. Sill plates here are 3x PT.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
I do believe if the nailing schedule calls for 2" or 3" edge nailing it has to be 3x

·
Design Build
6,681 Posts
Guys, just curious here. For a sill plate, most of you use a pt 2 x 6 ? Is that most common when building a house?
It's regional.

YES in PNW and Western Canada

2x4 in Texas (Houston) , Tennessee, Kentucky, typically unless things have changed.

That's just how I have done it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've never seen that.
It gets capped with sill gasket, then 3/8" osb/ply then joist on that. No Bolts this way.
Our crew laps the wall sheathing down past the rim joist onto the ladder. (most crews around here don't) Most crews around here don't do a lot of things:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It gets capped with sill gasket, then 3/8" osb/ply then joist on that. No Bolts this way.
Our crew laps the wall sheathing down past the rim joist onto the ladder. (most crews around here don't) Most crews around here don't do a lot of things:laughing:
Thanks for explaining. I guess that must keep the house on the foundation. Something new every day...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Its pretty typical to have a "ladder " cast into the concrete here.

If not, pt 2x6
That's neat...... with our anchor bolt schedules that would be nice.... wonder/doubt how the earthquake eng would stamp......

Does that ladder just sit on top of the forms, ......
Is it tied into in any manner to the stem wall...like with bar or anything.

Best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts