Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use quite a bit of silicone for sign installations. Silicone Depot is the best source I've found. Neutral cure is $3.86 a tube if you buy 12 or more. Not bad considering the big box stores GE I (non-neutral cure) for $5.xx and GE II (neutral cure) for $6.xx.

Hopefully that helps others here but just curious if you use large amounts where you get it from, what you're paying, etc.

Also curious about your thoughts on non-neutral curing silicone not being recommended for concrete, masonry, etc. I've used it before and never had failures, but for potential liability reasons I'll be using neutral curing from here on out.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Silicone 1 doesn't stick as well to concrete buy it sticks good enough for passing wires though. I order it from a distributor but it's the same price as the depot.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From GE's site:

What's the difference between GE Silicone I* caulk and GE Silicone II* caulk?
GE Silicone II* caulk is what's called a "neutral cure" silicone, which means no acids are released during the curing process (as there are in GE Silicone I*). This enables GE Silicone II* to adhere to a broader range of substrates such as plastics, concrete, and metals. Also, the odor of a neutral cure silicone such as GE Silicone II* is much less offensive than an acid or acetoxy cure silicone such as GE Silicone I*.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts