Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My toilet has a slow leak. Around the base of it where it meets the floor, I find a small (3" X 9") puddle every morning. If I get my sock wet first thing in the morning one more time, I might kill everyone in the house.

Rather than yank the toilet, or try to remove all the existing silicone, can I caulk over it with more silicone to stop the ooze?

TIA

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yes, if you want to remove the toilet in a year. And tear up the floor covering, rip up the sub floor, and replace the rotted joists.

If you do not want to repair dry rot, fix it correctly right now

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
You have a leaking something most likely a wax ring. caulking to keep it from flowing out onto the floor may keep the socks dry but if this toilet is on a wood framed floor you will rot out the subfloor below the toilet and may someday end up in the level below while taking the morning constitutional.
Best thing is to remove the toilet, find the source of the leak and do a proper repair.
Make sure the toilet flange (the thing the toilet bolts to) is on TOP and above the finished floor.
Replace the wax ring with the thickest no seep (The one with the horn that goes down into the drain) wax ring you can find.
Besides do you know what you are stepping into?

This should take no more than an hour to do Maybe 2 including a run to the store.

·
General Contractor
21 Posts
Toilet Repair

I agree, this should be fixed now. As others have mentioned, you don't want to get any rot. Even if you are on a slab, many times the water will damage whatever flooring you have. I would suggest you thoroughly inspect the toilet during flushes & make sure the leak is not coming from the tank (toilets can be very deceiving sometimes). Maybe even rock the tank very slightly, making sure the gasket is holding ok. If it is the ring, it is a basic repair & should not take too long. If the flange is up too high to be covered by the toilet, be sure to shim the base so the wax can work. I see this a lot in slabs.

Good luck!

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I pretty much knew all this, but wanted to be able to print this out and show the wife so she will get off my back about caulking the thing.

Besides do you know what you are stepping into?
Yes, I gave it a taste test. I didn't taste like pickle juice, so I assume it's water. :shifty:

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Thanks, I pretty much knew all this, but wanted to be able to print this out and show the wife so she will get off my back about caulking the thing.

Yes, I gave it a taste test. I didn't taste like pickle juice, so I assume it's water. :shifty:
You are a braver man than I.

Check the tank connection. and the fill valve I have seen these squirt up and hit the lid and leak down outside the tank.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I prefer to just permanantly remove the toilet from the house, that way there is nowhere for the water to leak from, no wax rings to worry about failing. Just get a piece of PVC pipe to slip down inside the waste line, install a few elbows to make a trap and insert a funnel- problem solved.

Just be cautious when dropping a duece, you may need to make a stick holder to push it down the funnel tube:w00t:

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's not that big of a deal to pull/reset a toilet and you'll be glad you did once the problem is fixed. A slick trick my plumber taught me to get the water out of the bowl and tank is to suck it out with a wet vac.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Amateur
A professional sloshes the water around like a marble in a maze, without spilling a drop. I have seen more than one of my guys dump it down the front of their pants.:w00t:

It's not that big of a deal to pull/reset a toilet and you'll be glad you did once the problem is fixed. A slick trick my plumber taught me to get the water out of the bowl and tank is to suck it out with a wet vac.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What's wrong with a piece of clear tube and siphoning it out?? man some guys make this harder than it needs to be:laughing:

·
Registered
618 Posts
allright this is how I do it and I do it atleast once a week new water closet or remove/replace.

1) turn off water to toliet & disconnect water supply line.
2) flush toliet and use plunger a few times to drain toliet bowl water
3) run a utility knife around the area caulked if caulked
3) unscrew bolts & remove toliet
4) clean area of old wax
5) install new bolts and wax ring,
6) use two screw drivers on each side 9 & 3 oclock position to indicate the position of bolts
7) drop toliet in... tighten bolts
8) hookup water supply line.... test flush, use flash light to inspect for leaks.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hey Slow,
I didn't know that you could drain the toilet with a plunger. Thanks for the tip. I hate the idea of using my wet vac on a toilet.
Steve

allright this is how I do it and I do it atleast once a week new water closet or remove/replace.

1) turn off water to toliet & disconnect water supply line.
2) flush toliet and use plunger a few times to drain toliet bowl water
3) run a utility knife around the area caulked if caulked
3) unscrew bolts & remove toliet
4) clean area of old wax
5) install new bolts and wax ring,
6) use two screw drivers on each side 9 & 3 oclock position to indicate the position of bolts
7) drop toliet in... tighten bolts
8) hookup water supply line.... test flush, use flash light to inspect for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
I dump a half filled 5 gallon bucket of water in the bowl to get rid of some of the water (try it and you'll see) and use a sponge to get rid of the rest.

(although there will always be water in the gooseneck)

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I dump a half filled 5 gallon bucket of water in the bowl to get rid of some of the water (try it and you'll see) and use a sponge to get rid of the rest.

(although there will always be water in the gooseneck)
You guys work way to hard to get the water out.

Takes about two minutes.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I go the wet vac route, you won't get it all out but a towel will clean up.

Install new wax ring and level the bowl with shims.

I use grout on tile/solid surfaces and caulk on wood/laminates. I also always leave about a 1" gap in the back so that you'll know when it goes bad next time.

Nothing worse than a sealed toilet base. Usually months of collected stuff full of those little flatworms and maggots.

Hope that you're not reading this while eating.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts