Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a house and have just managed to completely remodel the interior. Now it's time for the exterior just before winter hits. The exterior walls are fiberboard, Masonite lap, with d5 vinyl on top.

I took out a window on the side of the house to re-design the kitchen and block off the view the neighbors had. On the front of the house I fixed a patio door that was 4" above floor and deck level so I could stop falling into my living room floor. Now I have siding issues, I am going to take the siding off the front of the house and redo the widow area on the side of the house.

Now to the real question, are my options limited to vinyl siding on the front of the house? Since the Masonite is the real structural part of the house it has to stay right? I will eventually do the whole house in whatever I choose to do the front with, just at a later date.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
Most likely the walls have plywood on the corners for wall bracing and filled in between with fiberboard.

Once that is determined you options are endless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm almost positive the corners are plywood, forgot to mention that. Just needed some reassurance, I was shooting for some type of FC/EW lap siding. Not looking forward to tearing off that Masonite though.

Checked out your website, some good stuff right there!

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
Yea masonite is a pain. Normally it breaks into 16" pieces due to the nails in the studs.

Stripping it down to the framing and installing tyvek really is the the best way though. Even if you where just hanging vinyl, i'd still recommend stripping it down.

Something to look into is Royal Duraplank. Looks like FC but is vinyl. You kinda get the best of both worlds with it.

http://louisville-exteriors.com/projects/royal-duraplank-installation/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts