Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have a large vinyl siding job coming up. In the past, I've just hammered. But the old bones got me thinking about a siding nailer. I've never had or used one. They look an awful lot like my coil roofing nailer - Bostitch even makes an adapter for one of theirs that converts it into a siding nailer!

Anyway - not suggesting any crazy like using my roofing nailer - but I have seen references to using a framing nailer. I might use a dedicated siding nailer three more times in my life - whereas a framing nailer I'd use a fair bit in the coming years.

Can you really do vinyl siding with a framing nailer? If so, any special tricks? Or best models for the job?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
bob_cntrctr said:
Gentlemen, I have a large vinyl siding job coming up. In the past, I've just hammered. But the old bones got me thinking about a siding nailer. I've never had or used one. They look an awful lot like my coil roofing nailer - Bostitch even makes an adapter for one of theirs that converts it into a siding nailer! Anyway - not suggesting any crazy like using my roofing nailer - but I have seen references to using a framing nailer. I might use a dedicated siding nailer three more times in my life - whereas a framing nailer I'd use a fair bit in the coming years. Can you really do vinyl siding with a framing nailer? If so, any special tricks? Or best models for the job? Thanks.
I maybe be missing something bit I've never seen, heard, or used a any of the options on vinyl siding. Only pneumatic I've heard of for vinyl is a stapler, I've only done it by hand. But I had the same problem deciding so I bought both.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I thought about it when my latest siding project came to light. It had been a couple years since I had a siding project and since then the 'siding nailers' came to my attention.

I may be way off base but I am glad I chose to go old school and hammer down.

Reason being is that having the ability to fine tune a section of nails to eliminate the wave effect of covering up shotgun work.

**Now I'm not saying nailing tight etc, but you know what I mean by being able to feather out a run to make it look great to our eyes, let alone the homeowners.

So, with that being said, that was main reason I didn't and the second one would be to have one less thing to drag around the house, let alone the noise of the compressor.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Siding nailers are for wood, fiber cement, smart side, etc. not vinyl. That said, my Bostich has enough depth adjustment that it won't seat the nails tight. Every once and a while it would though, from missing a stud or whatever, and that might be enough to mess up a siding job.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Don't buy the tip for the bostitch, they don't work, but I made my own siding nailer, I just used a ridgid ( I know I know) roofing nailer (because they have the option of the sequential trigger, took a grinder and cut the bottom of the tip so it sits on the siding and run at about 70 psi and it works amazing

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never seen a professional siding guy use a nailer. I've seen the nailers and the attachment for shooting right into the nail slot, and in fact I remember using one 25 years ago. It was winter time. Didn't work so well.

Edit: For vinyl, that is

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
The bostich works ok, but really doesn't save time. I addition to that, it makes it very hard to control the depth of the nails which can vary as you go across the wall, even in as short a distance as one panel. Hand banging is the best way.

If you are getting wore out nailing, try a smaller hammer. I use a 16 oz. Estwing finish hammer for vinyl. I choke up on it and it is very easy on the shoulder which is where my main discomfort comes from.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vinyl has to hang from nails that are a little loose, how would you get a framing nailer to do that?
I dunno. But, like I said, I see references to doing so online. For example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hitachi-3-in-Coil-Siding-and-Framing-Nailer-NV75AG/203397591

Hitachi 3 in. Coil Siding and Framing Nailer

"...Its depth adjustment allows you to change your driving depth without tools. Simply adjust the driving depth and use this nailer on a variety of materials...."

So I wondered - a depth adjustment that leave's them 1/32" proud?

But it appears when they say "siding" they mean concrete board, not vinyl.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bostich works ok, but really doesn't save time. I addition to that, it makes it very hard to control the depth of the nails which can vary as you go across the wall, even in as short a distance as one panel. Hand banging is the best way.

If you are getting wore out nailing, try a smaller hammer. I use a 16 oz. Estwing finish hammer for vinyl. I choke up on it and it is very easy on the shoulder which is where my main discomfort comes from.
Sigh - I know it's true - was just hoping.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what's apparent is that someone needs to invent a vinyl siding nailer with a positive, mechanical, reproducable, depth, or rather proudness, adjustment. Something not based on pressure, but a reproducable mechanical stop.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have one of the senco roof nailers with their vinyl siding head. Once you get the feel of holding it the right way so the nail placement is correct each time it works great. Once in awhile I'll hit a soft spot and need to pry the nail loose a bit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...senco roof nailers with their vinyl siding head. ...
I think I found that online:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Senco-Vinyl...rs-Staple-Guns-SNS-41-45-RM4616-/290847114030

Really? The magic "vinyl siding head" is a 10-cent piece of stamped steel?

This is what I've been thinking in the back of my head - I suspect the modification to make a roofing nailer into a siding nailer is something nearly trivial like this - so why the heck don't all the top brands offer it? And just how crazy is it really to think of making something up yourself? I've got a DeWalt coil nailer - must be some way to make it work. OR - a DeWalt rep reads this and gets the message.

·
Registered
624 Posts
bob_cntrctr said:
I think I found that online:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Senco-Vinyl-Siding-Adapter-Senco-Staplers-Staple-Guns-SNS-41-45-RM4616-/290847114030

Really? The magic "vinyl siding head" is a 10-cent piece of stamped steel?

This is what I've been thinking in the back of my head - I suspect the modification to make a roofing nailer into a siding nailer is something nearly trivial like this - so why the heck don't all the top brands offer it? And just how crazy is it really to think of making something up yourself? I've got a DeWalt coil nailer - must be some way to make it work. OR - a DeWalt rep reads this and gets the message.
It's a cast piece of steel. Basically take the tip of a roofing nailer add two legs to it to fit into the slot of the siding so it centers itself. And also serves as a stand off so you have better adjustment of leaving it loose.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
how will a siding nailer work for vinyl.. siding nailers use nails with very small heads.. the vinyl will slip right off the nail. if your gonna gun nail vinyl it has to be a roofing gun

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
properly driven staple [16 ga 1/2'' crown]is the best fastener for regular vinyl,with practice you can set them on almost any wall condition

they are not permitted on some shake panels

1 - 20 of 27 Posts