Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on a project (actually done installing the siding) that we are using crane Portsmouth shake vinyl siding on. Due to it being crane, the supplier sent out 1 1/4 j-channel. That was used for the entire project. Now the homeowner noticed that there is a gap of about 3/4" between siding and j-channel.

He took it upon himself to look into the manual which is something I never did but it the manual it says to use standard 5/8th J. This is a job that was subbed out and no one really paid any attention to it because we are used to that size j-channel.

What solutions are there besides redoing the entire siding project?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
griz said:
Not installed per manufacturers spec/instructions makes this job a candidate for a knife & fork...:whistling
One big problem is a 5/8th J-Channel isn't made by Exterior Portfolio and the Product Directory says to use the J-Channel size that we did for this project.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KennMacMoragh said:
Do you have pictures of it? I'm a little confused, you're saying there's a manual and a product directory telling you opposite things?
Correct.

I do want to rectify this situation but I don't see any real issue here. After we put in the weep holes, everything will function fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Where did this manual come from? The one that's telling you to use 5/8'? Is it published by the manufacturer of the siding? Is there a warranty in that manual too?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The manual says to use 5/8 J-Channel for 7" cedar shingle. A little further down for installation instructions for the 7" cedar shake says to use 1 1/8j channel.

My material order was for Portsmouth Single 7" Cedar Shake.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Contact the manufacturer and explain the conflict & how you did the install. Ask for a letter from them stating this is an appropriate method of installation for the product & that all warranties are intact.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The manual says to use 5/8 J-Channel for 7" cedar shingle. A little further down for installation instructions for the 7" cedar shake says to use 1 1/8j channel.

My material order was for Portsmouth Single 7" Cedar Shake.
Sounds like you answered your question. Explain to him it says to use 1 1/8". If you used 5/8", that would be really hard to clean out wouldn't it? I would think it would get clogged and then become useless over time. I bet the cedar shingles are thinner.

If he still hassles you over it, then yeah get a letter from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah looks like some research answered my question. The exposure on the siding is 3/4 so it wouldn't even fit in the 5/8 channel.

Tom, besides this homeowner has been very happy and has nothing but good things to say about the workers. The lead sider has been doing it longer than I've been alive. I'll have to get some picks of the metal work on this house. We've gone through 18 trim coils on this project.

I will contact the rep from the manufacturer tomorrow and explain the situation to him.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Usually shakes go into 7/8" j no?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
What's behind your siding bro? Looks like 3/8 fan fold would fill that gap. Everyone knows panels fly its the trim, it sucks nobody caught it earlier, but it doesn't look right, how does it look around the windows and under the soffit?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The deeper channels are generally used with deeper (thicker) foam core or in the case of 1-1/4" J channel, the foam backed siding products. I would guess there is some sort of drop in insulation panel available for behind that Shake product. In which case, I could see the 1-1/8" recommendation.

Otherwise, I can't see using more than a 3/4" trim channel for that shake product.

Hope you get it worked out Jake....

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Personally I don't like to start any siding inside of a J . Even drilling weep holes it fills up with dirt and what not. If it is going over a coarse as I divider I like just making a Z piece so things are flashed and water drains right. It might of helped on this with the wider channel to stick a furring strip behind the first coarse to fill the gap more.

Hopefully you can get the customer to be ok with it as is.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Manufacturer rep says the installation is acceptable and will not affect warranty whatsoever.

It is crane Portsmouth shake so normally their products are insulated but this isn't. Some more research makes it even more confusing because on the order it says its shake. If its shake its supposed to be 1 1/8 J-Channel.

However, all the boxes say shingle which then means it is supposed to be 5/8".

The main concern in the J filling with debris which we solved by being a simple piece of aluminum to full the gap. The color matches perfectly.

The other option is to cut off the J-Channel and slide in the 5/8" trim but then I'm not sure how to fasten it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I always kill that stuff cause crane dont even make those shakes themselves

·
Roofing/Siding Contractor
25 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't look so good. Somebody should have caught it and I see what you mean it was subbed out. Sometimes, you are in such a rush, you miss it.

Try to pull up the siding and put 3/8 insulation behind, it could be difficult to lift as know. If that doesn't work, push the siding deep into the wall and cut the j channel with a new blade by the nailer. Than cut the nailer of a new jchannel and put clear silicone behind and slip it snugged against panel.

Use silicone or screw in a small hex head, use what you feel is best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts