Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with clap board cedar siding? I have a project that totals 76 squares and I haven't a clue as pricing is concerned. Mainly the speed at which it goes up and the cost per square I should quote. In Maryland. TIA

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I have done some cedar siding repairs, and it is expensive. Thats all I remember.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Best I can say for siding is call your local lumber yard. Siding ranges in price from Grade and quality. If you wanted a Grade #1 clear knot expect to pay out the nose. This would be the siding used if you were to put on a clear or semi transparent stain.

If you are going to solid stain the siding you can usually install a Grade #2 knotty siding.

As far as labor goes, obviously a larger panel covers more area, so there are less panels for the workers to install. I have found the best balance between labor costs and material costs to be in a 6" exposure siding. The siding covers a good area, but isn't too heavy to install like a 12".

Right now I pay about $130 for a 5/8" x 8 beveled horizontal siding. Labor costs me about $170. Now add the extras like soffit, facsia, freize board, door trim, window trim. Don't forget overhead and profit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pricing in the Rockies is about like Grumpy says. I think this is a base price for an "easy" job. Maybe one storey. Need to add more $ for 2-3 storey & big overhangs. Pump jacks, scaffolding??? We're paying about $110 for Cedar around here. We prime all crosscuts, backprime and use sealant at every end cut. HardiPlank is slowly taking over.
Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jmorgan said:
Pricing in the Rockies is about like Grumpy says. I think this is a base price for an "easy" job. Maybe one storey. Need to add more $ for 2-3 storey & big overhangs. Pump jacks, scaffolding??? We're paying about $110 for Cedar around here. We prime all crosscuts, backprime and use sealant at every end cut. HardiPlank is slowly taking over.
Jim
Jim: Your right about Hadiplank. Unfortunately the house siding must be wood, not PVC or polymer composite but wood. Choices are shakes or clapboard. I don't even think T1-11 is an option. Worst yet, all the houses in this small piece of a neighborhood are condemned to using wood. Bummer to be mild.

I appreciate all the input from the forum.

Speaking of sealant: What is the best to use for this type of material?
Jan

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Last time used clear cedar we had to custom order it as the house was 10" cedar so that's what we needed to match up the addition. We paid $100/ per 12' long board. Let's just say it was measure 5x's and cut once-nerviously LOL.

Think I only charged $125/sq to put it on since it's very simple to install/work with. I love working with vinyl since it's so inexpensive and fast, but the look of cedar just does it for me and gets back to the grass roots of construction with the exterior finish work side of it.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Must be cuz it's so soft. I resided the neighbors house last spring with cedar and low and behold I was watching TV one afternoon and heard the imfamious machine gun like pecking action. That little SOB worked it way from one side of the gable end to the other pecking 1/4"-1/2" holes in a perfectly straight line that would rival a carpenter level:)

Then after a hr or so it satarted in on the garage. They were'nt home so what was I supposed to do? Aint got a bb gun and other neighbors would probably think I went coo-coo if they saw me shooting the other neighbors house....plus I get to bid siding over that yr old cedar with vinyl this spring so they dont have to deal with it again.... :Thumbs: Mother nature works in mysterious ways, might have to start subing out the woodpecker gang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts