Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
To vent an attic I need to install some gable end vents into exterior walls already sided with Hardi Plank (or some other similar brand of plank that simulates beveled horizontal siding). The siding looks well installed, blind nailed. The exposure is about 5" as I recall.

I own a Malco fiber cement shear and it goes through great when cutting planks before putting them up - but has anybody used them to cut INTO planks already installed?

I need to cut only a 12x18 rectangle, and I really don't want to use a spinning sawblade that will create a ton of silica dust that high up (which will rain down on all below).

Any other ideas? Score and snap somehow? I'm sure somebody has a trick up their sleeve!

thanks, Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I figured to use the shears would be doubtful.

The shroud is a good idea - my grinder is beat to hell Bosch 5". I was thinking a shroud was only going to cover one side like when you are grinding concrete. But now I see this on Amazon, which should work if I'm using my diamond blade and cutting perpendicular
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-18DC-5E...sr=8-3&keywords=bosch+dust+extraction+grinder

and having it may come in handy when cutting concrete or pavers or even CBU for tile.

@Red Adobe For me winging it without capturing dust won't fly in this neighborhood (it's a job house) and at this height (40ft). Sure I'd wear a mask but I'd be sending dust into 3 neighbors' yards, with kids. It's not as bad as asbestos, but silica dust can be a real hazard.

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Be sure your ladder is securely anchored so as to not shift on you.

Layout the hole and double check your measurements twice.

You may want to consider painter's tape when cutting into your sheathing as hardi will scratch from the foot of your sawzall. Multi tool may work best for the sheathing.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
sharp knife, heavy score, a piece at a time will do it..i'd use the MM myself.is this just decorative or will it need to be flashed?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Grinder with a turbo blade and a 1x4 to guide you as you score it. Fein supercut or similar with carbide grit to square up corners. Will be smoother and faster than anything else. Any other method and you are likely to loosen up the siding.

Put on a dust mask, its only one cutout, how bad can it be???

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Battery circular saw with hardi blade, multi tool for corners. Silica dust from 40' up is negligible. Use a stabilizer/standoff to make it easier/safer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you have someone hold a shop vac to suck up dust as you cut? I will not cut masonry with a grinder any other way- ' all the difference in the world.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts