Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was pretty interesting, and I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem? Luckily the home owner is ok with it.

A piece of siding developed a concave bend in it out of nowhere, the siding was replaced, then the same thing happened again right away. We noticed that the neighbors upstairs window which had LowE coating, was reflecting the suns heat and directing it directly to this particular piece of siding, causing this issue.

The siding used is mastic carvedwood, however I'm wondering that should siding have been put with form fitted insulation behind it, would it be able to resist the warping do you think?

Attachments

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
The siding used is mastic carvedwood, however I'm wondering that should siding have been put with form fitted insulation behind it, would it be able to resist the warping do you think?
I'm not familiar with that brand, but it blows my mind that the reflection from any window would do that. Especially in New York, which ain't exactly the sun capital of the country. Is the material thinner than normal?

To respond to your question though, I can't imagine that any kind of backing would keep that from happening--though it might mitigate it slightly.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I was at a seminar once where they talked about this happening. The houses in the pics were really close together. I think the only solution may be to change the glass in the other owners window. Sounds crazy but.................

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's definitely the window, the sun just hits it right and we could see the reflection right on that spot, it's like a laser.

as far as the siding, it's .044 so it's not terribly thin.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand, but it blows my mind that the reflection from any window would do that. Especially in New York, which ain't exactly the sun capital of the country. Is the material thinner than normal?
Along the Barrier islands, many of the homes are 8-10 feet apart. The reflection off of today's high performance windows is incredibly bright on the neighbors sidewall. I haven't seen this problem personally, but I've heard tell of it before.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Excluding a very cooperative neighbor, it may be time to try your hand at design/build of decorative planters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good idea with the planters, but the customer is pretty much ok with how it looks and understands it being a freak occurrence, thank god.

lone framer, coincidentally the neighbor is roughly ten feet away.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Let me guess silver gray or village green carvedwood?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that the warranty conveniently excludes reflections of windows or doors, but not a bad idea to ask the mfr for a suggestion.

Patrick - it was pebblestone clay.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
If the other homeowner wont comply with a solution, convince your homeowner to install a window at that location and reflect the light right back at the other guys siding!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey everyone.

I've run into same problem last year. It was Mill Creek siding we've installed five years ago. Unfortunately ALCOA (manufacturer) don't cover this type of damages under their warranty. We replaced few pieces and home owner planted a small tree in front.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Same deal here but with Royal Woodlands. The rep replaced 4square of siding on a wall, we split the labor all from the neighbors window. Not sure if it was a tinted glass or exterior Low E coating.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey everyone.

I've run into same problem last year. It was Mill Creek siding we've installed five years ago. Unfortunately ALCOA (manufacturer) don't cover this type of damages under their warranty. We replaced few pieces and home owner planted a small tree in front.

Hope it helps
LOL it was mill creek what do you expect when your hanging a $45/sq panel???

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
ive seen it on a wolverine restoration panel ,it was caused by a defective skylite,the glass sagged causing it to reflect onto and distort a wall some 20' away
looked like someone took a lazer and ran it up the wall,siding was melted
so if you ever see a panel like that look for something shiny,it could happen in a driveway by a car mirror or chrome trim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts