Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to level a 15" wide x 4 foot section of sidewalk that settled about 1/2 an inch after being saw cut to lay pipe and then re-poured.
I tried an overlayment repair cement from Lowes, but 2 weeks later it just cracked and came loose with a slight blow.
Any suggestions for another material?
Thanks, Ken Owens

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I think the mud jacking idea is the way to go. The $20thousand set up charge should be way cheaper than buying 2 or 3 bags of quickrete.

In my town (Albuquerque) anyone who works on a city sidewalk is required to have a minimum $2million bond with the city. Ask your mud-jacker if he charges more for bonded work. That $20,000 price may be a bit low.

·
Registered
960 Posts
We have used a small car jack to lift the sidewalk and punched sand underneath with a 2x4 scrap in the old days.......now we tear it out and re-pour. A couple hundred dollars in material is more cost effective than a bad reputation.

Good luck

·
Banned
917 Posts
Hi, I need to level a 15" wide x 4 foot section of sidewalk that settled about 1/2 an inch after being saw cut to lay pipe and then re-poured.
I tried an overlayment repair cement from Lowes, but 2 weeks later it just cracked and came loose with a slight blow.
Thanks, Ken Owens
15" x 4' is about 5 sq ft, right people?

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Remove and Replace 60 square feet=$240.
You can come do all the concrete you want for me! ha, 4 dollars to remove and replace 60 square feet at 240= starving wages. if its not a lot of walk you can use a spud bar or hammer a few stakes under it to lift it to where you want, remove a little dirt on the side of it, and push sand under it, should work like a champ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kemosaby,remove damaged area (15"x4').Dowel into old sidewalk (holds new in place).Repour area,that 1/2 ain't beens,problem solved.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Thanks, Ken Owens
Cut the sidewalk section out at the nearest control joints, properly compact the fill and repour a new section.

Trying to pour a 15" section looks like crap and as you can tell has a high failure rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sidewalk repair...

Up here we use a product made in Hamilton called mg-krete, a polymer concrete repair that sticks big time. Ne pre prep, other than clean old surface, and 20 minutes later you can walk on it. And warranty it as well. There is a distributor in North Carolina I believe.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
Each 80 lb bag of sackrete will do 2 sq ft at 4" thick. Also drill some large tapcons in the existing concrete about every foot to prevent settling in the future.

·
atlanta
10 Posts
we use polymer-modified conc all the time w/only fine aggregate for skimcoating & dec conc overlays,,, for that small an area, we'd replace it,,, there ain't much avail at ANY apron store for pro conc repair to our standards.

our distributor in nc ( charlotte ) is rod johnson of elitecrete southeast,,, there are other mtls of generic recipe & many other distributors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sidewalk concrete leveling

Concrete repair using self leveling toppings can be difficult in an exterior situation due to weather conditions. As always preparation of the existing slab is crucial, along with using the proper concrete topping material.

By the time you add all this up it may be more cost effective to remove and replace vs. trying a polymer modified concrete restoration product. Many times concrete floor leveling products are tricky even in indoor areas.....

Good luck with this project,

Covalt Floor Leveling....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.