Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
General Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that has a crack in their walkway. One lip is raised a little less then an inch & people are tripping. I got a tip from a concrete sub that there are some epoxies that I could use. Well, I didn't get the specifics and he is out of town now... Anyone have advice on a product for smoothing sidewalk unevenness?

·
General Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for something a little less involved. It's a lower income apartment complex. I don't want to make it worse, but I'm not looking for the big guns either. Maybe I'm over estimating the grinding process. What (roughly) might a guy pay a pro to preform that service?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Patchcrete would fix it. Just take some concrete bonder or elmers glue, put a little water with it and make it runny, them mix up some patchcrete and staight edge it out about 12 inches, the patchcrete will not break off when it is thinned out, it dries at about 6000 psi. I filled in a 1/2 inch crack in a floor with it about a year ago and I still cant see it cracking through the patch yet.

Thanks, www.masonryworktools.com

·
Banned
9 Posts
well, since people are tripping over sidewalk, i see lawsuit coming. only matter of time. they must not be cheap to pay! must fix correctly. this involves air bag inflate lower section. then backfill and tamp. or else lawsuit coming.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Check with local code enforcement authorities. In my town, one must have a $2M bond with the city to do anything to or with sidewalks because they are on city property.

Liability is pretty high here. The owner is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk that is on city property. Liability for injury falls on the property owner adjacent to the sidewalk. Liability is significantly greater if their is a known defect that caused the fall.

If you do the work and it does not meet local codes or regulations, you can be on the hook for the full liability for injury in the future.

Do not try to cut corners to save the building owner money. This has the effect of transferring their liability to you. It is not your job to save the owner money. It is your job to do everything properly to local code and regulation. Don't put yourself in a situation where a judge tells you that.

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
I agree with Thom, most cities will not allow patching on surface of sidwalks if u are the contractor, on the other hand a home owner can usually patch his own concrete. The best way would be to grind it or just level it with a spud bar and pick, it is a cheep fix. If they allow u two patch then i would use mm80 epoxy, take wire brush clean surface and then apply epoxy, or u can use speed creat by redline it is a high strength morter that has no need for a bonding agent, it cost about 25.00 for a bag here in ohio, it dries very fast not as fast as a hydraulic cement but fast, and the finish product looks like concrete, iff the patch is more than 1" thick add pea gravel, it has a 6000psi load. Or just rip it out and fix it the correct way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts