Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a call for a rush job, so i went, i love these small jobs, 2-3 days, cash money, my bread n butter.
So, this guy needs a couple of doors cut thru the wall. the contractor called me and i went straight to the HO for price. can't trust contractors these days.
there were 2 windows here once
Property Wall Building Room House

Wall Property Brickwork Brick Building

Reactions: hdavis

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may not trust contractors, but I wouldnt trust someone I called who went behind my back and talked price to the homeowner.
i bet you would if the same contractor took 9 months to pay you and took 20% off on top of that.
What is it over their thats different, everybody it seams, makes 1500.00 dollars a day, gets paid the day they finish, and everybodies honest and your best friend,
Out of 10 Contractors, General Contractors, half give you basically no problems, the other half your gonna have to sweat it out for the monies.
Them other half, If i can I stay clear, I do, But many HO's and Studio's want me because I am not that bad at what i do.
"go behind your back" I'd rather be on the back side than in front, harder to have them stick it up my asz

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I wouldn't go around any of the GC's I work with but I have a good relationship with them all. The ones I have a bad relationship with i in fact have no relationship with because their phone numbers are erased from my phone and when I tell them to fark off and to forget my # they usually get the point pretty quick

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
day 1

Almost done
Wall Brickwork Property Brick Building

Wall Property Room Brickwork Building
One of my saws at work
Wood Machine Table Furniture Chair

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't go around any of the GC's I work with but I have a good relationship with them all. The ones I have a bad relationship with i in fact have no relationship with because their phone numbers are erased from my phone and when I tell them to fark off and to forget my # they usually get the point pretty quick
It's a bit different where i am, I am the only Mason in the area thats licensed and brick work is few and far between. the few other masons have all peoples from different countries and HO's don't really like seeing
others that don't look like them,(almost a racist quote), and speak a different language. Plus everybody loves Americans.
So, even contractors that i have had problems with, have to call, like on this job,
If It wasn't a privately owned job I would of asked upfront the monies.

Like the saying goes, or my wife tells me..
got no money, get no honey

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love using milk crates

Property Building Room House Home

·
Registered
677 Posts
I love/ loved using the trestles for working never seen them here in Canada, and from what I heard they are no longer used due to health and safety reasons back in Ireland. Many a scaffold job back in Ireland involved several trestles and a few ( empty) beer kegs
Good stuff.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Bruno, that's a badazz looking saw :thumbsup:

I see your toothing technique and I'm not sure what to think of it...I normally attempt full depth removal myself in situations like that to make sure I get a solid interlock. Are those brick really soft or something?

You need to get yourself an arbortech - save yourself from having to lug out that badazz saw :thumbup:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, these are kinda soft, full removal is a ***** with these brick, you'll end up taking down half a wall, and its almost impossible to point the inside of the wall,

Oh yes, I could certainly use the arbortec, my next toy

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would tooth that with a TS 420 lol. It would take 10 minutes.
what the hell is this your talking about?
I get about 18 dollars every brick i tooth

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
I need number 31, that's the one in the far back, bottom right. It's the one next to the wisdom. I'll give you 36.00 that's double the going rate.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would tooth that with a TS 420 lol. It would take 10 minutes.
i googled that, its a cut-off saw,
I use the husqvarna K-760
Concrete saw Product Tool Saw chain Abrasive saw

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need number 31, that's the one in the far back, bottom right. It's the one next to the wisdom. I'll give you 36.00 that's double the going rate.
What?
You've been out in the sun to long:cool2:

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another job well done

Property Building Brick Brickwork Real estate

Property Building Real estate House Brick

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
What's holding up that header across that door? To my non-mason eye, it looks to me as if those vertical bricks (brick?) in the header are ready to flop right down.

Second question - Are there any situations in which a mason says "bricks" - or is the plural always "brick" (other than special situations such as "He's no mason, he said "bricks")?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts