Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
testing testing testing.... phew! Ok, this forum is NOT lame as I can edit the posts. And I got registered without first completing a 5 year course in how Harry Houdini escaped out out those hand cuffs.

By the way, well done site administration of this forum.

I'm from British Columbia Canada and have some beefs in this drywall trade that I've done for the last 27 years.

First, the tragic poverty years of the 90's forced me to go to Alberta where thay paid more. yeah, I became a refugee in fact, along with thousands of others in the trade who gave the finger to BC in those years.
That's right working for 10 to 12 cents a foot in BC, just got me and others nowhere with the hornet like(no worse than a hornet - a scorpion) government wanting there fair cut of income tax. well *XXXXX* yer tax man.

Yeah I'm hot and need time to cool off, so come back here to read more

later.

----

That's right I had enough of BC in the 90's to last a life time. Enough of the 12 cents a foot - enough kicking my foot through the walls in frustration. Enough of living from paycheque to paycheque. I said goodbye to BC as it could not receed in my rearview mirror fast enough. Enter Fort MCmurray Alberta and from poverty to 25 cents a foot - that's right boys and girls. I could now imagine my welfare worker skewered on the end of my middle finger as I laughed while cashing 4 thousand dollar cheques. I met many from the poverty stricken place I had left doing the same thing. Yes, this was as close to a real exodus as I could have imagined.

I spent two years in Alberta with a better life. Things suddenly switched in BC during this time about the beginning of '03. Construction got real busy - unprecindently so. For drywall taping in BC, I am gettiing now 23 cents a foot, not bad but still low.

I'd like to name the drywall companies I've had trouble with during my drywall years. FIrst a real lame ass of a company that I worked for in Edmonton Alberta. KDH (crook) drywall. I did some work in an apartment building they had contracted and at first they paid well. This was a set up though. All the sudden there was talk on the job amongst tapers that KDH required a GST number and that they were forcing tapers to get the numbers or they would deduct income tax. Bad as that may sound, what I did not know was the stinkers were cooking up a scheme to not only deduct from the last paycheque but retroactive as well. Yes, I found out on pay day that my 1800 cheque was only worth 700 dollars!. They had deducted 1100 dollars total. Part of that was from that cheque and a previous cheque. So I got this to say to KDH. Ride my finger for ever!.

gettin hot again later

-------

Do i sound like a bad ass. well part of me is, but it is not due do to preference but due to neccesity.

In BC right now SEPT 2005 prices for drywall are good. Everyone is living well. Some down right nasty competition is lurking around though The last couple of job sites I looked at were run by east indians. I phoned them and disguised my voice saying that I was looking for drywall work. They are paying 15 cents a foot for drywall taping and 17 cents a foot for drywall boarding
(you US guys call that sheetrock). That is well below the 23 I'm getting. My beef here is that 10 years ago only about 5% of the jobs were run by E.I. Now I would calculate there to be 50% of the job sites run by E.I. drywall companies. I could name names but not yet. This is worrisome. The E.I. won't hire a white guy! . I've tried at least 10 times and have been turned down and I got 27 years EXP!. Don't need the 15 cents a foot anyway.

So what is driving this trend??

increased immigration with no limit

large ethnic families (that goes for anyone! keep your XXXX in your pants as there is currently only 2 acres per person(do the math!!) China is to be commended here - they have XXXX police.
Large families = large houses and more burden on the infracstucture like sewer electric grids and the like.

Ruthless white contractors taking advantage of the immigrants by paying them less (this sounds - wierd - me saying that, but it is a fact)

No formal trades training in Canada required. Anyone that can pick up a hawk and trowel is a drywaller.

Anyway any you might want to reply about now to this stunning post or don't you like Canadians EH.

later

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
shrinko, please try to avoid the 'F' word, somebody's mother could be reading this. We also make attempts at being professional.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hope he feels better... I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
finally

Well said. Not a whole lot of content but to the point I guess. Nathan has just whipped me knuckles and I see he has personally edit the F words out even after I found a way to defeat the software. I've been warned that ridiculous content will not be tolerated. My fellow Nortamericans I need your support we are democratic - yes.

This site is as I said well maintained. As most other sites out there. There are people who would read my stuff - not a fiction crowd out there as you come here for reality I hope. What I've said is what really happened and the trouble with the construction trades is that we all hide behind our testosterone fuelled veneers and do not go wawa once in a while. There are some big men out there - hi how are ya. So this is not only the forum to speak whats on your mind but to air your beef if I may say so.

The content of what I say may seem out of the norm but the object of it all is to let the fellow trades know that they are not at the bottom of the totem pole and to further warn those who may fall into the pit that it hurts when they got you by the short hairs.

later
----

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
So who's smarter than who in this thread?

The East Indians for running the show and raking in the cash? ...Or Shrinko for still hanging and finishing after 27 years?

Nobody owes me a living.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
My fellow Nortamericans I need your support we are democratic - yes.
As heard on the job site: This COUNTRY is democratic, but this is MY jobsite, do it MY way, or go back out the gate into the democracy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
shrinko,

I've just read your post today. A couple years later, and I'd like to point out that KDH drywall, are nothing but a bunch of crooks. I just recently quit after being used for two years. Fortunately I learned enough there, to be given a much better paid job.

I've now met many people who have been screwed over by KDH in the past. Shorting employees hrs on payday (2-3 guys a cheque, and they're making money off the employees), pulling that crap with the g.s.t number. This is something which has caused many people to have financial troubles, as they're living cheque to cheque and not putting away their taxes.

KDH drywall is the WORST company in Alberta, and I hope nothing but the worst for their future. I would like to see them go under, they're crooks, and they don't value employees. I worked there for two years, and not once did the owner or project manager, ever, shake my hand, thank me, or tell me I did a good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts