Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a code requirement for the height of the showerhead as measured from the floor? Also...how high should the shower faucet be installed? We're installing a walk-in shower.

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
we set our valve 4 ft off pan and shower head around 6-10, I am getting more and more calls for seiling shower heads.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
That must have been written when
average guy was 5'8".
My last customer 6' would have been
about arm pit high :laughing:

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
On most of our jobs the architect specifies valve heights, on a shower it is usually 40" for the thermostatic valve, 48" to the control valves, 40" for the hand shower, 84" for the showerhead, 24", 36", and 48" for the body sprays.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That must have been written when
average guy was 5'8".
My last customer 6' would have been
about arm pit high :laughing:
I know,that's min. .I put it at whatever height the owner wants.:laughing:

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Just a heads up on choosing the best shower head height.

Many of todays shower arms come with a larger extension and these can have a L shape to them. You need to be able to twist this piece on when finishing the shower's trim.

Also because these are longer and longer it may be necessary to adjust the "Wing Back" out of plumb so when the weigh of the shower head and arm are in place they look level. With longer shower arms more care should be taken that the arm is level and square to the shower wall.

JW

·
Banned
1 Posts
Showerhead Height?

There is no standard or uniform shower head height that builders must conform to. The height of the shower head above the floor measures approximately 78 inches (6-feet, 6 inches).

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Get it up high enough so a 6' guy can stand on a stool underneath it with some room for a noose up there. And make sure it is mounted in a sturdy fashion. Nothing could be worse than jumping off the stool and having the pipe rip out of the wall.

·
California Contractor
131 Posts
Is there a code requirement for the height of the showerhead as measured from the floor? Also...how high should the shower faucet be installed? We're installing a walk-in shower.

Thanks!

Kevin
(I know this post is old, but I think it help to continue to add responses, due to future people may have same situation)
The parts you are installing comes with specifications, follow their guidelines, if you want higher distance from f.f. you could do that for as long you keep the recommended length from one control to other parts recommended by manufacture's requirements

1 - 17 of 17 Posts