41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
A piano that rocks........

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I guess it never really changed. I would never do a standard mud bed so I guess it just never got brought up. If you look at the instructions on installing urethane over a mud bed, it says to wait so ridiculously long period of time...or maybe not to do it at all. The slow cure with all the moisture attacking the urethane from underneath can cause softening of the grout or that white powdery stuff that looks like efflorescences.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I guess it never really changed. I would never do a standard mud bed so I guess it just never got brought up. If you look at the instructions on installing urethane over a mud bed, it says to wait so ridiculously long period of time...or maybe not to do it at all. The slow cure with all the moisture attacking the urethane from underneath can cause softening of the grout or that white powdery stuff that looks like efflorescences.
What about a couple of coats if AD on top of the mud bed?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
That's fine...well, maybe not. I only use a fabric membrane because it helps me sleep at night. Regardless, you can't just drop some liquid on a standard mud bed and call it a day. You need to use the "divot" method or Noble Drain Flashing method to do so.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
That's fine...well, maybe not. I only use a fabric membrane because it helps me sleep at night. Regardless, you can't just drop some liquid on a standard mud bed and call it a day. You need to use the "divot" method or Noble Drain Flashing method to do so.
I guess I was thinking of a liner and mud bed, at that point the AD would be a barrier between the tile and moisture coming from the mud bed. Just a thought. Not a whole lot of thought.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm not sure what AD is, but I'm assuming that it is something like Redguard or the Mappie product .
How would that be any more of a problem than a sheet of Kirdi or Provo, as far as creating a sandwich?
I don't see how you could trap moisture, seeing as the mud pan drains.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
The point is, if you trap moisture above the membrane, you don't need the liner under it. If you have a pseudo membrane you can trap some moisture in the med bed because not all moisture will seep down. Unless you have enough to lose to gravity, some will escape upwards too.

But we digress. If you have a standard mud bed, I wouldn't recommend urethane grout. Epoxy is your friend.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I use it on the corners with the mesh.
wasn't aware of the the AD.
Was just looking at their website and also saw a CI.
I've got some reading to do

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I just did the floor and the band at the top.
The blue wall caps were pretty poorly done but were not in the scope of my work.
She loves it and that is what counts.
She loves yellow. :eek:
Beauitiful low bank water front seconds from two of the best beaches in the area.
Going on the market at the end of the month I think.
Would love to know how much.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts