Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why yes it is.. good eyes Angus.
Did not touch it.
I pretty sure that the tiles were damaged by previous cleaning.
She is a pretty good house keeper, the rest of her house is spotless.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Going to choose tile tomorrow.
Stone would be my first choice.
I may try the urethane grout, not sure.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Stone is very porous. If they had issues with well water, stone isn't going to make the situation any easier. I'd personally stick with porcelain for a more long tern piece of mind.

I'd also skip the urethane grout. Urethane doesn't like the moist of a standard mud bed pan. Go with an epoxy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Angus. I was going to seal it with stone enhancer, but with porcelain, and epoxy it wont be needed.
God, I hate epoxy. I spent hours getting it off a tub the first time I used it.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Thanks Angus. I was going to seal it with stone enhancer, but with porcelain, and epoxy it wont be needed.
The great thing about epoxy is you can use a lot of water cleaning it up. If you clean as you go, you should never have an issue with hazing or residue. I don't work on more than 6-9 sq ft at a time.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Even with a sealer, the shower pan is the most abused part of the shower, meaning the sealer will wear the faster there.

If you had issues with epoxy, urethane will fight you just as bad, if not worse. Clean up is the hardest part of learning to work with urethane. You really need to do not more than 1 or 2 sq ft before clean up. You push it to 4-5 sq ft and it will already be drying on the surface. That's when your troubles begin. Besides, you need to wait 7 days until the shower can be used after installing urethane.

Porcelain and epoxy will be your friend in the long run...and it's not often I don't recommend urethane.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
If you had issues with epoxy, urethane will fight you just as bad, if not worse. Clean up is the hardest part of learning to work with urethane. You really need to do not more than 1 or 2 sq ft before clean up. You push it to 4-5 sq ft and it will already be drying on the surface. That's when your troubles begin. Besides, you need to wait 7 days until the shower can be used after installing urethane.
My switch to mostly urethane has taught me that well. Still trying to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Have any of you used the TEC Tecnicolor premixed grout? Is that a urethane?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The shower is all Kerdi and water tested. Is that Tecnicolor urethane? Is it any good?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The supply house is promoting the stuff, is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Thanks, Angus. You da man!

I don't know if there are any jokes about framers laying tile, but there ought to be.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Thanks, Angus. You da man!

I don't know if there are any jokes about framers laying tile, but there ought to be.
I think I'd rather one build me a grand piano with a drywall hatchet....

Lol - just kidding

21 - 40 of 60 Posts