Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer e-mailed me these two pictures today.
Could hard water cause these spots? They are on a well.
Other than a good cleaning, do you think that TSP, or a mild acid wash would remove them.
The shower is about ten years old. Two new tiles were placed for contrast.
I have no other info yet.
Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.
John

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What she needs is a maid not a contractor. :laughing:

Reactions: B.D.R.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that it looks like a mess, but she claims to have scrubbed the heck out of it, with many different products.It just won't come clean.
She said that somebody told her to use muriatic acid.
Thak god she didn't, as she has a septic field.
Going to look next Wednesday, we'll see.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Scrubbed the glaze off the tile?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It is pretty clear that her idea of "scrubbing" is not ours by the way her grout looks. Like Inner said "she needs a maid not a contractor"

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A little acid will not upset a septic tank----I use 'the Works' toilet bowl cleaner (original )

Muriatic acid is to rough on the chrome trims---what ever you use, be careful of the metal---CLR is popular--but I have never tried that---

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some sulphamic acid left over from a previous lesson,:laughing: how would you rate that?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Your thinking correctly, grout is an alkaline as well, along with concrete, acids will attack those, when you see grout worn away on shower floor the cleaners are eating away the grout. They say not to clean ceramic tile with vinegar, it etches the tile allowing more dirt to stick to surface as it roughens it up, not that you can see the pores it's creating but that's what is happening.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts