Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DO IT RIGHT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got called back to a custom shower job we did 2 years ago.Lady said mold mildew etc,etc.We use Schlutter system,CBU,epoxy grout and all the good [email protected] we all love to talk about here on CT.So I get there.Shower is discussing.Has not been touched since we left.Had 1/2" heavy custom glass door installed.CANNOT see ANYTHING through it.5 people using it daily.They disconnected exhaust fan,said the sound bothers them.I always wire the fan with the L.E.D.shower light so it has to run. Surface mold all over the place.My point is all of these high end products STILL require maintenance and are not a replacement for maid service LOL.:rolleyes::blink:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
So you and the shower were "discussing" the lack of maintenance?
I'd say something to the effect of cleaning for 350$ and periodic maintenance of once a month for 200$.
Fans are noisy, I have noisy fan in one of my bathrooms, none in the master , gotta get one installed, just moved in recently. I guess there should be two settings, one quiet and one loud to obscure other noises in bathroom.
Could you find other work that could be done or was it a total waste of time? Some people just check and see if your responsive to call backs.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why bother cleaning when you can renovate every few yrs.
Buy them a squeegee and show them how to use it.
Some people are pigs, others just haven't been taught.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I've done a year without cleaning, but not 2 years. I like it when they won't even replace a vinyl shower curtain for about $2. I guess I should say there weren't five people using the shower either.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I would like to add that I once installed base board in new construction and I marked the studs with pencil on the floor tile. It wipes off easily. That place is going on 15 years with quite a few tenants moving in and out and the pencil marks were still on the floor last time I was there.

I guess I'm the original slob for not removing them, but I figured they would come off the first time someone mopped.

·
DO IT RIGHT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend non bleach based mild detergent.Our showers are all natural stone.But it still requires work.Guess that was a deal breaker.Un real.Nick

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
They should know what mold and mildew "resistant" means. Besides, if the shower is dirty, then the mold is growing on top of dirt, soap scum, and dead skin film. Not on the surface of the tile and grout. Oh.. and if you want to know something else that's disgusting- the mold and mildew actually FEED off of that stuff with the excess moisture providing the necessary water that it needs to grow.

It's like you have a science experiment inside of the bathroom.. almost like a terrarium.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Tile guru john bridge says to dry the shower after every shower. I know that would be a pain but in his book he says he takes two towels when he showers. One for him and one for the shower. He claims the shower will look new for a long long time.
Nicko

·
Registered
Custom
13,689 Posts
Shower squeegee and quick lesson on maintenance should be part of the wrap-up of every bathroom remodel... :thumbsup:

...and maybe now a print-out of this thread as a cautionary tale... :whistling :laughing:

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Some people are just lazy, sloppy, lazy, unclean, lazy, dirty, lazy, pigs. Did I mention they're lazy? Charge them a $500 cleaning fee so you can inspect it for 'damage'. Tell them it has to be clean (like how you left it) before any assessment can be done and then you will be more than happy to fix any 'problems'.

My bathrooms are the cleanest rooms in my house. I can't stand a nasty bathroom. And I'm a carpenter who gets dirty as hell most days!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tile guru john bridge says to dry the shower after every shower. I know that would be a pain but in his book he says he takes two towels when he showers. One for him and one for the shower. He claims the shower will look new for a long long time.
Nicko
:laughing:

I did that with a stone shower I installed in my last house ... after 8 years it looked about 2 days old, took all of about 2 extra minutes each shower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts